new year

January 1994

January 1994

New Year's has passed. Dad and I said goodbye to Regulus for it was time the two of us returned to Hogwarts. We are going to miss our home and Regulus but it makes leaving school easy for the two of us have grown closer together and everyday learn more about the other, our love for each other grows.

"What does that say?" I asked, leaning over to read the headline on dad's copy of The Daily Prophet.

"Inquiry at Hogwarts," dad read aloud. "A student injured by means of a hippogriff while under the eye of the Care of Magical Creatures teacher at Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry. Minister of Magic, Cornelius Fudge will see to the hearing concerning the matter which is to be held at the end of April."

"I can't believe this happened! I've met Buckbeak and he is the most harmless creature." I said to dad.

"Some people just don't know how to show respect. And lack of respect can get you hurt."
___

"Happy New Year!"

"Happy New Year! How was your holiday?" I asked Wes as we walked a corridor together.

"It was great! I got a new set of gobstones from mum and dad! Cedric and I played at least fifty games! Uncle Amos got me a cat for school! Surprised my parents that's for sure!"

"I love cats! What's it's name?"

"Newton! Uncle Amos named him after a famous wizard." Wes went on talking about every moment of his holiday. He talked about all the time he got to spend with his only cousin and how close they had become since Wes is getting older.
___

January came to a close and February had only begun. Dad and I are walking along the halls toward the History of Magic Classroom. Dad is going to be helping a student with a spell and found this to be the best place to practice.

We enter the classroom and Harry is standing in the center of the room. "Good evening Harry! You've met my daughter? I hope you don't mind her being here, she'll just be doing homework."

"Hi!" The two of us being well aquatinted with each other skipped the formalities.

"No I don't mind." I could tell Harry was nervous no matter how hard he was trying to hide it. Dad carried in a large case and placed it on the ground. I tuned out their conversation and kept focused on my work. I heard a voice of panic and looked up to see Harry had fallen to the floor. "Harry! Harry wake up!" Dad tapped his face, trying to revive him. Harry's eyes opened, "I heard my dad." He muttered. I walked up toward the two of them, listening closely to what he was saying. "That's the first time I ever heard him. He tried to fight of Voldemort to give mum time to run. To run with me." He started to cry, sitting up he bent over his knees, pretending to tie his shoelaces so he could dry his tears.

"You heard James?"

"Yeah..." Harry looked up, his face stained with tears. "Why- you knew my dad?"

"I did know him very well as a matter of fact. We were friends at Hogwarts. Now Harry, we will leave this for tonight. This charm is ridiculously advanced I shouldn't have put you through this..."

Harry interrupted, "I want to try one more time. I need to think of happier things, that's all." He stood up and thought for a minute or two.

"Ready?" Dad asked. Harry nodded and the lid was pulled off the case, a 'dementor' rose out of it and it felt like we were back on the train. Cold and darkness filled the room. "EXPECTO  PATRONUM!"  Harry yelled out, repeating the words like a chant. We don't know what was happening inside Harry's head but a silver shadow emitted from the tip of his wand, pushing the dementor back slightly but not enough.

"Riddikukus!" Dad stood in front of Harry causing the boggart to change into a silvery orb, a full moon. The boggart was forced back into the chest and locked away. "Excellent!" Harry was handed a Honeydukes' chocolate and told to eat it. "Can I have one more go? Just one more?" He asked, taking a bite of the bar.

"You've had enough for one night."
___

Gryffindor won their quidditch match against Ravenclaw and the party to celebrate went on late into the night. The twins managed to bring in keg's of butterbeer and enough sweets for everyone to celebrate with. I turned in early, before Professor McGonagall shut down the party, sending the remaining students to bed.

Early in the morning shouting loud enough to wake the castle comes from the boys dormitory and is brought into the common room. Standing at the top of the stairs I hear Ron Weasley going on in a panic and arguing with his older brother. The head of Gryffindor house, Professor McGonagall entered the common room again and began questioning what had happened.

"He was standing over me with a knife!" Ron cried out. "Sirius Black tore through my curtains and tried to bloody kill me!"

"Don't be ridiculous Weasley! How could Black have managed entering through the portrait hole?" McGonagall questioned.

"Why don't you ask him!" Ron pointed to the portrait hole. McGonagall stepped out, leaving us standing in curiosity and fear. She returned, her lips formed tightly together. "Which foolish person wrote down this weeks passwords and was absent minded enough to leave them lying around?" Her eyes scanned the room before falling on the raised hand of Neville Longbottom, Avery's older brother.
___

Today older students are having a trip to Hogsmeade and I am busying myself in dads office while he plans his weeks lessons. A voice from the fireplace grabs our attention, Snape is demanding a word with dad right away. The two of us step into the flames and into Snape's dull office. Our eyes meet with Harry's. Harry had been found wandering the castle which Snape found suspicious. With the help of Ron Weasley and dad we were able to leave Snape with what Harry thought was no punishment.

Walking beside dad we stop at the entrance hall. "Professor I-" Harry started.

"I don't want to hear your explanations." Dad looked around, making sure we were alone. "I am aware this map was confiscated by Filch long ago. Yes I know it's a map. While I don't know how you managed to get it I must say I'm appalled you didn't hand it in. I can't let you have this back Harry. Especially not after what happened when a student left information about the castle lying about."

"I understand."

The two boys were told to return to the common room. I followed after them and in front of the portrait hole Hermione is standing. Ron and Hermione have had a ongoing argument but for just a moment their disagreement is put aside.

"Hagrid lost the case. Buckbeak is to be executed."
___

A/N

Newton is a black short haired cat and his name is Newt for short. Just like my cat

This chapter is a short one but I'm making it up with the next one!! We've made it to the Shrieking Shack!

Thank you so much for 900 reads!! I appreciate the comments and votes xx

Word count: 1180