Chapter 23

Safia landed one punch after the other, pounding against the punching bag with fury.

Each strike fueled by a mix of frustration, anxiety and simple, pure rage. She was beyond frustrated, exasperated, and just done with everything. Since being with Homelander she didn't think her future could be any worse, but in these past weeks it had gotten a thousand times worse. Translucent's murder, Becca, Butcher,  marriage, baby talk and whatever the fuck was going on with Madelyn and Homelander... It was enough to make anyone crack.

Lucking Safia didn't crack easy.

The sound of her punches echoed in the room before Maeve's voice cut through the air.

"Holy shit, who pissed in your cereal this morning?" Maeve remarked with amusement, walking into the gym, eyeing the woman as she continued to relentlessly beat the bag.

"I don't eat cereal," she replied dryly, continuing to land punch after punch.

Maeve raised an eyebrow, "What's your issue? Did the premiere go that bad?" she inquired.

"Are you serious? You don't know?" Safia quizzed, quickly halting her punches, cocking her head at the hero, "you have to be kidding..." 

"What?" 

 Safia rolled her eyes, walking over to the table at the front of the room and switching on the tv, turning up the volume.

"In breaking news, we hear wedding bells! Homelander took the knee last night proposing to long term girlfriend Safia Torres on the premiere of their new movie, Homelander: Mi Amor. We can't wait to hear from the two soon for the wedding of the century!" the news anchor announced, the screen lit up with the picture of the hero on his knee holding the ring and another picture of the gigantic ring.

Maeve's eyes widened in disbelief as she watched the footage of the extravagant proposal and the massive diamond ring adorning Safia's finger. "Holy shit," she muttered, looking at her incredulously, "the one time I miss a premiere, are you fucking joking?"

"Here's the bling," Safia said, presenting the massive diamond ring that hung from her necklace.

Maeve's eyes widened at the sight of it in the naked eye. "That's the biggest diamond I've ever seen," she remarked, her voice filled with awe.

"Wanted to make sure he could see it from space," Safia quipped, attempting to be humorous.

Maeve hesitated, sensing Safia's annoyance. "Congratulations..?" she congratulated, "how do you feel?"

Safia forced a smile, though it didn't quite reach her eyes. "Fine," she replied, her tone flat, "it was bound to happen sooner or later... I'm surprised it wasn't sooner though."

Maeve furrowed her brow, sensing Safia's unease. "If it's not that... then why are you down here beating the crap out of the bag?" she asked with concern.

Safia's shoulders slumped as she sank onto the bench, breathing out a sigh of complete exhaustion. "He wants babies," she confessed, her voice tinged with complete misery.

Maeve's expression softened, "No fucking way..." she murmured sympathetically, sitting down beside the gloomy woman.

Safia nodded solemnly, her eyes clouded with pain. "I've had friends die giving birth, my mother died giving birth to me and I know it's rare but it happens," she explained, her voice trembling with emotion.

Maeve patted her back gently, offering silent support to her friend in distress. "I thought you always wanted kids.." she quizzed quietly, her tone as gentle as possible.