Miranda's Submissive Plaything: Chapter 1

Miranda

I check the time again as I force myself to sit still as I wait outside of Mr. Harrison's office. I arrived way too early for this meeting and now all I can do now is wait until he's available to see me. His secretary, Betty, is the only other person in the luxurious waiting area on the top floor. She keeps stealing glances at me from behind her desk just outside of his door. Guarding the way, ready to stop anyone who even thinks of disturbing her boss before he's ready. I wonder if she can feel my anxious energy from across the room. 

I take a deep breath and try to settle my nerves. Internally, I might be bursting with energy, but it's essential to appear calm and collected on the outside. I make sure my feet are firmly planted on the floor, my hands resting on my knees. I try not to bounce my legs, as I sometimes catch myself doing when I'm uncomfortable. Those nervous ticks are so easy to fall back on, but I've gotten better at hiding them over the years. My phone is on silent and put away, so I don't appear distracted or inattentive. 

When your coworkers are cutthroat and always looking for any sign of weakness, you have to be careful. Never give anyone the advantage over you. My control over my emotions is one of the reasons I'm here today, ready to start my new position at a well-regarded PR Firm. The first woman in the history of Harrison PR to hold the position of Account Director and one step closer to Vice President. 

It's my first day after my promotion and I'm anxious to get started and make my mark in this position. It's been difficult navigating the boys' club of Harrison PR, but I did it. I started as a fresh-faced intern and managed to work my way up to a corner office and an assistant of my own. Now my name has been added to the short list of potential people to take over when Mr. Harrison and the Vice President, Mr. Nills, retire. It's hard to believe that my plans are falling into place after all this time.

I run my hands over the tops of my thighs, straightening the already smooth fabric of my black pants. Another nervous tick. Damn. I look over at Betty, but she has her eyes on her computer, no longer paying me any attention. The smart black pantsuit is feminine but doesn't show off the curves under my clothes. I learned a long time ago that I had to be beautiful but modest to be taken seriously at Harrison. I attracted male attention from the time I was young. My body is long and lean with firm muscle under golden tan skin. My long black hair and light blue eyes grab people's attention, making them stop and stare. My body developed early, large breasts and full hips that drove the boys wild growing up. 

In my youth, I loved to tease the boys in my small town, letting them chase me but never letting them catch me. The reaction my looks got could be a curse at work, though. I had to hide my attributes and my naturally flirty personality. Men took it as an invitation to harass me and overlook my intelligence. Women took it as an invitation to hate and mock me. 

It was much easier to hide my true self at work. Like adopting a second personality. Buttoned up and serious during the week and wild and flirty during my free time. My wild days are less and less frequent these days. My priority is getting ahead and making a name for myself, even if it means ignoring my instincts to flirt and tease. My one rebellion at work is my love of provocative lingerie that I keep hidden under my practical clothes. I also refuse to abandon my sky high heels that bring me close to most of my male colleagues in height, even towering over a few. 

I learned my physical appearance could help me, but usually, it just attracted the wrong kind of attention, from men and women. I did my best to downplay my looks while still presenting an attractive, put-together persona. I've developed a reputation as an ice queen at work, but it's better than finding myself the focus of drama and gossip in the workplace. It's hard to shake a bad reputation, even one that's unearned.