Chapter 40

(womp womp. I want this book to be finished by chapter 50, and was wondering if you guys wanted a happy or sad ending?)

Jack woke up to gunshots, and his mind went into overdrive. He jumped out of bed, noticing Bruce wasn't with him anymore. A scream that sounded far too much like Damien made his blood run cold, and he ran out before he could even think.

Jack froze, when he caught sight of the situation. Alfred, Barbara, Dick and Tim were all tied up in the corner, Bruce on the floor with a bullet wound to the shoulder. He was particularly frightened when he noticed Axel and Jest standing next to Jason Todd. Jason held Damien by the collar of his shirt, and the poor boy called out to him. "Jack!"

"Damien, just...just stay calm, it's okay!" Jack attempted to console, eyes scanning every detail of the situation that he could. His body tensed, as the same gun used to attack Bruce was then held against the young boys temple. Jason snarled, cocking the gun as a threat. "I knew it. After everything he did to me, you're keeping him safe!?!?" His red hood was discarded, and Jack could perfectly see every cut and dent forever engrained into that skin. All because of him.

"Listen! Stop! It's me you want, right? Put Damien down, and you can do what you want with me." Jack spoke, eyes not tearing away from the gun. Axel came closer, and Jack didn't protest, not in a position to. Said man wrapped an arm around his torso, pulling him into his back and placing his own gun against his temple. Jack still didn't say a word, looking at the oddly silent Jason for his response. 

"It was you I wanted, you sick son of a bitch. But after learning of this betrayal, plans change"

Jack's brows furrowed, as that gun was pushed further into Damien's temple. The small boy sobbed, and Jack wanted nothing more than to scoop him into his arms.

"Did you mourn them?" A voice whispered from behind, and Jack cocked a brow. He hesitantly nodded to Axel's words. "Good"

Jack stiffened, as the gun pointed to his own head was suddenly turned towards Jason. He yelped, as Axel took the shot. Jason fell to the floor, Damien scrambling away and into Jack's arms. "A-Axel, you-"

"You ain't so bad, Jack. Not anymore" Axel smirked, and Jack couldn't help but smile. Hesitant, unsure about how to feel about that. 

"Axel, you idiot!!" Jest yelled, and Jack pulled Damien closer the moment a third gun was aimed at them both. "You know how long it took me to find fucking work!?!? You just shot my last chance!" 

Bruce stumbled to stand, and Jack noticed the gun turning. "Bruce, get the fuck down!!"

Jest shot, and Jack felt tears brim in his eyes at how close that had been to hitting him in the head. He barely missed it, and when a second shot was about to happen, Jack and Axel sprang into action.

Axel went to wrestle the gun out of Jest's hand, and Jest threw shots out haphazardly. Jack bit his lip, as one bullet dug itself into his leg. But it wouldn't stop him. Holding Damien impossibly closer, he grabbed Bruce and helped him move to where Alfred and the others were tied up. "Stay here, Bruce" He placed the small Damien on the mans lap, before running to help.

Jest was getting the upper hand, and Jack watched as Jest got a shot into Axel's chest. Jack kicked against Jest the moment he shot again. The bullet lodged into Jack's side, landing them both to the floor. Jest dropped the gun due to the impact, and Jack quickly kicked it away before it had a chance to be grabbed again. He gasped, as a blow to the bullet wound at his side caused him to tumble back to the floor. 

Jack turned, anger fuelling him as he got himself back up. "What's the point of this, Jest?! Killing us isn't going to fix anything!"

"No, It wont. But it'll make me feel a whole lot better!"

They began to circle one another, waiting for someone to make the first move. "I won't let you do that"

"You say that about a lot of things. Said you would never be bested, said you were the most powerful man of Gotham, said you'd never let Harvey get the best of you, said you'd never let Axel rape you! All I see is a pitiful fucking man. You should be grateful I'm sparing you the hell that it is living with your demons"

"You're right. I'm not afraid to say I've been wrong. Most of my life has been one big lie. But this, I've never been more fucking honest. You dare lay another hand on any of them, and I'll kill you. Hurt me all you want, but you hurt them and I'll never stop. Never stop tracking you down, hurting you, killing you. That, I can promise"

"Can't wait for it" Jest landed a punch, and Jack used it to floor him. Jest startled, and it was enough time for Jack to punch him square in the face. He didn't care about the bloody nose he had just caused, but breathed a sigh of relief at knowing he was knocked out.

Jack panted, as he felt the adrenaline begin to subside. Jason and Axel were dead. Bruce was hurt, Damien traumatized. 

He wobbled back over, heart heavy. Bruce had just finished untying the last of them. "B-Bruce, I'm sorry...Jason and Axel, they...they're dead"

"Are you...Are you okay, Jack?" Bruce quickly asked, standing himself up to check over him. "Nothing I haven't survived before. Are you..."

Jack startled, as Bruce suddenly fell back to the ground. He barely managed to catch him, feeling his own strength weaken as he held them both up. "Bruce...?"

His eyes widened, when he saw a second bullet wound he had failed to see. One lodged dangerously close to his heart. "Oh, fuck...fuck!" He quickly rolled Bruce over, placing pressure against the wound. "A-Alfred!!" Jack called, as his vision began to blur with tears. 

"Call an ambulance" Alfred called towards Dick, and the boy ran off to do just that.

Alfred helped Jack to place pressure, sending worried glances at both his son and his sons boyfriend. "Jack, you need to be seen to"

"Fuck that, Al! I'll be fine, but Bruce won't be if we don't act now!"