The Game of Love - 31

Eva French

Eva French

If I thought I was drunk the night of Jay's party, boy I was I wrong.

Before long, I lost count of the shots we'd taken and which round of pitchers we were on. The beer began tasting more and more like water and the tequila was not nearly as strong as it was at the beginning of the night.

They were right, though. It was incredibly fun. Although the bar was filled with people, the booth we sat at was like our own private bubble. I felt so happy that I even swayed around in my seat, to the beat of the music. I'm glad they dragged me out. Yes, I was definitely glad. I needed this.

"I'm glad you guys dragged me out!" I exclaimed, surprising myself when my voice sounded loud and obnoxious. Then I realized it was because I said out loud what I thought I was only thinking in my head. Now I was aware I was talking, I repeated myself with more clarity,  enunciating each word carefully to avoid stumbling. "No, seriously, I'm so glad you guys dragged me out!"

Speaking was a bit of a challenge. As if my brain was operating in slow motion, with some parts of it shut off. Oh well. None of them seemed to notice. In fact, it seemed like we were all in the same boat.

Lea swayed to the music in her seat too, but with a confidence and flair that far surpassed mine. Although heavy lidded, a wide and cheesy grin was plastered on her face. She shot me a thumbs up in response to my comment, then leaned forward and puckered her lips playfully to give me an air kiss.

"Eugh," Jay joked from beside me, dramatically wiping his cheek in feigned disgust. Lea rolled her eyes, unfazed, and continued swaying to the music, but Jay looked quite pleased with himself when I laughed.

"Ooh!" Lea's exuberant squeal pierced through the chatter as she sunk onto Aidan's bicep with all her manicured fingers. Aidan appeared oblivious, his attention fully consumed by the food before him that had just arrived, his face a picture of rapt concentration as he began devouring his meal. "I love this song! Stop eating for a second, god, Aidan! Come dance with me!"

As she whisked him off to the dance floor, Aidan's eyes remained fixed on his food, a solitary fry dangling precariously from his mouth. He looked at Jay and I as if pleading for rescue, but Jay just laughed and shrugged in response, making no move to offer any assistance.

Soon after they disappeared on the dance floor, Jay got up to get us another round of drinks.

Alone for a brief moment, I found my thoughts drifting to Vince. In the haze of the alcohol, my mind seemed to shed its inhibitions.

You know what? I think I was angry at him.

How could someone be so stubborn, bossy, impatient? He thought he was mysterious and cool, but really, he was just a grumpy old man. I pictured an old grandpa sitting on a rocking chair on his front porch, pointing at kids with his walking cane and yelling at them to get off his yard. That would be him in a few decades, for sure.