The Game of Love - 30

Eva French

Eva French

The season shifted, shedding its chilly cloak for the embrace of warmer air. With the arrival of spring, the melodious cooing of mourning doves became my morning alarm. It prompted a habit of leaving my window cracked open overnight so I could welcome their nostalgic calls and the gentle caress of the spring breeze each morning. Each evening, a symphony of crickets streamed through my bedroom, mingling with the joyful laughter of children playing outside. Rhythmic thuds from chalk hitting driveways echoed, as they drew pictures of clouds and hopscotch squares. Bells from bikes and tricycles trilled, with an occasional shout from a parent calling their children inside for dinner.

This was my first spring in this city, and it was a happy time. It was my favorite season here so far. Spring was always a happy season, I think, for most people. It marked the end of a harsh winter, promising respite from the cold. Yet, it also served as a peaceful interlude before the sweltering humidity and scorching heat of summer descended upon us.

I missed Vince.

I think I may have caught a glimpse of him, once or twice, across the street at the auto shop. With the arrival of warmer weather, the workers began to resume their outdoor tasks. Once, during my break, I thought I spotted him strolling around the front of the garage, his hand resting on a car as he leaned down to inspect its wheels.

The more the days passed, the more I lost the nerve to approach him again. I had not encountered him for almost three weeks now. It wasn't that long, I suppose, but it felt like an eternity to me. I had felt incredibly guilty when Jay, Aidan, and Lea told me that they had not seen him, either. They tried to make me feel better, reassuring me that it wasn't my fault, but I knew it was. If it hadn't been for me, he wouldn't be avoiding his friends.

I found myself spending more and more time with Jay, grateful for his companionship during my moments of loneliness. Amidst the gratitude, a tiny seed of guilt took root. I feared that the more time we spent together, the more that seed may grow. I couldn't shake the feeling that there might be a sliver of truth in what Lea had told me during our conversation on Jay's couch a few nights ago.

Jay and I didn't just work together, as we often walked back to his home after each shift. There, we spent the evening cooking dinner, hanging out with his parents, and enjoying the company of Lea and Aidan, taking advantage of the nice weather together.

Jay even met my Mom. It happened one afternoon, about a week ago, when he drove me home from work. As we pulled into the driveway, she emerged from the garage, having just returned home herself. Jay, staying true to his enthusiastic and outgoing nature, insisted on introducing himself. He clambered out of the car before I even had the chance to open the door on my side, eager to make a good impression on her.

"Hi, Mrs. French!" he beamed politely, shaking her hand with enthusiasm. "I've heard all about you. It's so nice to meet you. I'm Jay—Eva's friend."

Initially, my mom regarded his tattooed appearance with some apprehension, but it didn't take long for her to be won over. She was charmed, and I didn't blame her. She invited him to stay for dinner after a few minutes of conversation on the driveway. He bumped my hip with his and smiled cheekily down at me as we made our way inside.