The Game of Love - 9

Eva French

Eva French

I trusted him, although I was unsure what he did exactly to earn it. I would mull this over and over again in my head, trying to rationalize my growing feelings for him. Was it the first night after Jay's, when he walked me home and helped fend off those drunk passersby? Had it been all the times when he walked me to my door and made sure I got home safe? Or did my feelings happen just the other night, when he pointed to the stars?

I was surprised to know that there was still a superficial side to me. This shallow side couldn't help but appreciate him visually. What a work of art this man was. The way his jawline accentuated his features, his tousled dark brown hair, the strong and graceful lines of his body that would move so effortlessly and gracefully. The visual impact of him always seemed to knock the air out of me, although I knew it wasn't just the external that drew me to him. It was something deeper. Something unspoken that I couldn't put my finger on that transcended the physical.

I didn't see him for the following few days until I went to Jay's house that weekend. He was there, dressed in his usual white t-shirt and stained blue jeans. There was no flicker of emotion on his face when he looked at me, as I'm sure there was on mine. Jay and Aidan greeted me warmly as usual. Lea smiled, and although it was forced, it was a beautiful smile. Vince remained unreadable, his expression monotone.

"So tell me about her," Jay said to Vince, always seeming eager and curious to know about his love life.

"There's not much to tell," Vince murmured back, throwing his head back and drinking the rest of his beer.

"Ugh," Lea complained, rolling her eyes, "I'm so sick of listening to this all the time."

Despite her statement, she looked at Vince expectantly, and I could see the envy behind her eyes as she nonchalantly waited for his answer to Jay's question.

"What do you mean there's nothing to tell?" Jay asked him, ignoring Lea's statement. "I saw you all over each other last night at the bar before you both disappeared!"

Vince, uninterested, cracked open a new can of beer while shrugging. "It was the same old. Nothing that would interest you."

"Ah, give it a rest," Aidan chided. "Our man Vince... always so mysterious."

"Mysterious!" Lea exclaimed, snorting."Hardly. It's not a mystery where they were or what they did, Jay."

"She's right." Vince said, suddenly grinning. "You know how basic human anatomy works, don't you, Jay? I don't have to go into detail, do I?"

As they continued talking and laughing, Vince's eyes met mine through the flickering fire. He took a swig of his beer without removing his eyes from me.

Feeling humiliated and confused, I wondered if my trust was wrongly given. Then right after that, the voice inside my head scoffed at me. As if you're in any position to ever be upset at what he does with other women.