The Game of Love - 16

Vince Matthews

Vince Matthews

I had never experienced a moment like this before—no recollection of ever sharing a peaceful night's sleep with a woman. Until that morning, I had never awoken with someone nestled in my arms. As I reluctantly opened my eyes, the surprise struck me—my arms securely enveloping her delicate form, one leg gently draped over hers. It was as if even in the depths of my sleep, my body instinctively craved her presence.

I would have been content in that moment for hours, maybe even days, just lying there with her. It felt like a glimpse into what a normal relationship might be like. Despite the discomfort in my neck and back from an entire night spent in an awkward position, I resisted any movement, unwilling to disturb her peaceful sleep. The desire to savor the moment kept me as still as possible, determined to extend our closeness for as long as possible.

That night, for the first time in a while, I went to Jay's. To my complete surprise, she was also there. 

When she woke up that morning, she had been quiet. I wanted to reassure her, to convey that there was nothing to be embarrassed about. I wanted her to understand that I had genuinely enjoyed her company, even though our time together consisted of little more than gazing at the TV until we fell asleep. The voice inside me questioned if she regretted staying. Somehow, that thought bothered me deeply. 

A radiant smile lit up her face upon spotting me, reflecting the warm glow of the fire pit nestled between my friends. Any possibility of easing her from my thoughts with a casual night of beers evaporated instantly, though I was so glad to see her. Our eyes briefly met, but I tore my gaze away as Jay called my name, momentarily diverting my attention.

"Speak of the devil," Jay said humorously when he saw me, "Where've you been?"

Grumbling something about work, I settled into a chair. Aidan, sensing my mood, handed me a beer, and I reciprocated with a grateful clink against his glass before taking a sip.

The evening unfolded in its familiar pattern. Jay's jokes and blatant flirting with Eva continued, while Aidan relaxed with his beer, contributing to the conversation when it piqued his interest. A sense of relief washed over me, realizing that Lea was absent that night. It was a welcome break from the condescending looks and whatever else she might have said or done if she were there. I hadn't encountered her since the last time she was at my house. Yeah. I'd rather Eva not know about that. 

I don't know what was different about that night. Maybe it was my imagination. She accepted multiple beers from Jay. She only ever drank two or three. Why did her cheeks become more and more red after every sip she took? Was her speech slurring, or was it just me? How come this was the first time she was comfortable enough to drink this much with all of us? What had changed? 

You. The annoying voice in my head said, unabashed. 

I watched her intently as she laughed at Jay's jokes. Anytime our eyes met, she would smile shyly at me.