The Game of Love - 29

Eva French

Eva French

It was always an odd sight to witness Jay's typically tranquil fenced yard, perpetually bathed in the warm glow of the fire, transform into a bustling party scene. I doubted I would ever get used to the vibrancy of these gatherings. Jay was lucky his parents were so easygoing. It might be the only reason why his backyard was now teeming with scores of inebriated people—laughing, eating, and drinking. 

The genuine smile on his face and the excitement that illuminated his eyes upon seeing me were the only factors that stopped me from leaving. I was not in the mood to socialize, though when was I ever? But it was hard to disappoint Jay. 

"Hi," I murmured, and instantly, his delighted expression faltered when he recognized the discomfort that was plastered on my face. "You said there was only going to be a few people here tonight, Jay." 

"This is just a few people," he insisted. I should have known Jay's penchant for underplaying the scale of his so-called "small gatherings". Somehow, much to his delight every single time, these supposedly modest gatherings consistently transformed into full-fledged house parties.

"Please, Eva!" he pleaded, "Stay for a while. It's the weekend! You can hang out with Aidan and I. It will be fun, I promise." 

Hesitantly, I agreed. Just for a while, I thought. I would be lying if this decision wasn't influenced by the fact that I had some hope that Vince would show up. I stayed close by Jay's side as he led me through his yard and into the coziness that was his dining room. I had hoped there was some refuge inside. To my dismay, the house was teeming with an equal, if not larger, number of people. They lounged around the kitchen, claimed spots on the cramped couch in the living room, and encircled the dining table, where some engaged in a rather haphazard game of beer pong.

Soon, Jay handed me some liquid courage. I quickly uncapped the bottle so I could take a swig. If I was going to stick around for a bit, I figured I might as well make the most of it.

The next hour seemed to stretch on endlessly as I lingered along the edges of the room, sticking close to Jay like velcro. Nursing my drink, I trailed alongside him as he greeted friends and engaged in lively conversation. 

If not for the fear and shyness that gnawed viciously at me, I might have found myself in awe of how effortlessly Jay conversed with others, and the genuine affection they showed him in return. It wasn't surprising; Jay possessed a natural charm that seemed to magnetize people towards him. He was friendly, generous, and genuine, qualities that made him a favorite among his friends.

I swept my gaze across the room, searching for the familiar sight of a stained white t-shirt or tousled brown hair. Lost in thought, it took many moments to register that Jay had extended a second beer toward me. Glancing down, I noticed I was only halfway through my first one. I managed a weak smile, grateful for Jay's attempt to distract me. I felt a bit lucky in a way, having a friend like Jay, someone who could read my emotions so effortlessly without me having to voice them. He put his arm around me, giving my shoulder a reassuring squeeze.