Chapter Sixteen

LUCY

There is only one more hour until the party, and I am so excited. This isn't just a gender reveal. This is our chance to show off our new home to all of our friends and family. No one has seen it yet, and I'm excited to see what they think.

I've worked so hard on this party, planning it to be as perfect as possible. I'm honestly pleasantly surprised with how much I was able to get done in just a week.

Last week, after our appointment, Tim and I had gone to speak with Sargent Grey. The doctor had said that it's even more important now that I rest as much as possible. Sargent Grey was more than understanding. He is allowing me to go on maternity leave now, with pay of course. I hate the fact that I'm not working, but I'd be lying if I said I was a lot less drained and overall exhausted now that I'm resting more.

Growing these babies is really taking it out of me, especially as I'm getting bigger. Moving around takes more energy than it used to. As much as I wish I was still working, I know that this is what's best. Besides, I don't know how much longer I'd actually have the physical capabilities to work. But now, with Alejandro arrested and in prison, I feel like I can finally take a breath. This was a huge, stressful case that I'm glad is closed at last. I can rest knowing that we got one more criminal off the streets. At least I'm not leaving any cases open.

It's time to get ready for the party, and I have a little surprise up my sleeve for Tim. I secretly ordered a very special outfit to wear that I know is going to drive him up the wall. It's nothing spicy, but it hugs my curves in just the right way, and the way the fabric flows, the cut of the dress... I know what Tim likes, and this dress checks all the boxes. Hopefully, after the party, when it's just me and Tim, this dress will end up on the floor.

I am interrupted from my daydream by a knock on the door. "Lucy?" Genn calls.

"Yeah?"

"How's it going in there?"

"It's good, I'm just getting dressed."

"Okay, let me know when you're done and I can help you with your hair and makeup."

A/N: I just wanted to say that all bodies are beautiful! For this next part, I'm trying to portray how I think Lucy might be feeling based on what I've heard/read about the experiences people have when pregnant and getting used to their new bodies. I hope that I captured Lucy's internal dialogue correctly and accurately represented what a lot of people experience with the changes to their bodies during pregnancy. Lucy is feeling self-conscious and Tim is going to help remind her that all bodies are beautiful.

I finish getting my outfit on and admire myself in the mirror. As I'm getting bigger, I'm becoming less and less confident in myself. I know that this is normal, but I'm just not used to the changes I'm seeing in my body. I don't know why Tim finds me sexy right now. But every so often, if I find the right outfit, such as this one, that works with my new body just right, I'm filled with a renewed sense of confidence.

Another knock sounds at the door. "I'm almost done, Genn!"

"It's not Genn," Tim's voice replies and I freeze. I may be feeling a little more confident with this dress, but I still feel like I look like a train wreck. I haven't had a chance to make sure the dress was on just right, or to do my hair or my makeup or anything.

I can see the doorknob start to turn and I panic. "I-I-I I'm naked!" I shout the first lie I can think of to stop him from coming it. But it doesn't.

"All the more reason for me to come in, I'd say," Tim's voice is practically dripping with seduction.