Chapter Five

LUCY

"I heard you're not feeling well." Sargent Gray says.

"That's right, sir. I'm sorry for having to leave early the other day-"

He holds up his hand. "No apologies necessary." he glances between Tim and I. "But I'm getting the feeling that isn't what you two came here to discuss with me." he pauses. "Together."

"You would be correct, sir," Tim says. "It's not quite what we wanted to discuss."

"Well? Get on with it."

Tim looks at me and I nod my approval. "Go ahead."

"Sir, Lucy and I live together."

"Okay?"

"And we're dating."

Sargent Gray continues to look confused. "Okay."

"And she's pregnant."

Sargent Gray doesn't say anything. He just blinks at us.

Tim takes a deep breath. "Also, I don't know if you put this together or not but I'm the father. They're mine."

Sargent Gray stutters. "I'm sorry, they?"

"I'm pregnant with twins."

He hesitates. "Oh. Well, um, congratulations to you both."

Tim and I glance at each other, and he shrugs. I sigh. "Sir, a twin pregnancy is more risky than just one. I also have been diagnosed with a condition called hyperemesis gravidarum, extreme morning sickness which won't go away after the first trimester."

"She wants to keep working, but she is going to need some accommodations," Tim adds.

Sargent Gray nods, taking out a pen and paper. "Go ahead, tell me what you need and I'll get on it, I'll see what I can do."

I open my mouth to speak when I get a sudden rush of nausea. I flash Tim a panicked look which he luckily realizes and can respond to accordingly just in time. He locates a waste basket, picks it up, and holds it out in front of me, just in time to catch my puke.

My face is down, and I can feel Tim rubbing my back in a soft, soothing, circular motion. "Sorry, sir. She can't help it."

"I understand. I'm going to guess that one thing she'll need is access to a trash can at all times?"

"Yes sir."

"Okay," I croak out as I sit up, using the sleeve of my sweatshirt to wipe excess vomit off of my mouth. The sweatshirt lready got vomit on it from this incident, so it's going to get washed anyway. "I think I'm okay. Thank you."

"She'll need to be allowed the option to sit down whenever possible."

"Completely understandable. When my wife was pregnant with our daughter, her ankles got so swollen and her back hurt a lot. She hated standing unless she had to, so I can only imagine what that must be like with twins." Sargent Gray says as he writes it down.

"We just found out that I'm pregnant today. We found out about my condition, and that it's twins, less than two hours ago."

"Really? How'd you manage to get an appointment so fast?"

"I got a minor injury while we were investigating a lead and Tim overreacted and took me to the hospital. Since I was there anyway, they figured they'd perform the ultrasound then."

"An injury? What happened?" Sargent Gray asked.

"It was nothing, really. An object smashed our window so I ducked and protected my head with my arms, but the glass cut my skin. I would've been fine, Tim just overreacted."