Chapter Thirty Eight

"Nnnoo..." Salima dragged dramatically, dropping the bottle of her perfume before she turned and faces Layla.

"Are you for real?" She asked still finding the situation rather absurd.

Layla blink her eyes twice, dragging a nother pillow to support her back
"If that wasn't the case why wouldn't I be here earlier?

"I don't know what to say." Salima murmured clearly speachless about the whole situation.

She sighed sadly, then sat down next to Layla on the bed.
"I just thought maybe you where held up with something but Ammi insisted nothing will stop you from coming and asked that I call and confirm."

Layla shrugged tired of whatever the hell this is.
"I kept thinking, throughout the drive here. What sort of crime did I commit against Abdul that he wouldn't even open his mouth and tell his 3weeks old daughter has passed."

"Like he just came out of his room, took his car key and left without saying a word to me, and I was on the dinning all along having my breakfast cause I had an 8 o'clock class."

Layla explained exasperated. The more she talks about it, then more confused and dumbfounded of the situation she is.

Is hard processing all this. It wasn't up to a week when she and Abdul had that argument about him naming her not just Amina but Miemie too, Miemie is just a name she decided to call her then.

Throughout the drive from the court, where Salima told her what was going on, she kept on rewinding their fight.

Trying to recall each and every conversation, hoping and desperately prayer that she didn't wish anything bad to happen to the innocent soul, let alone say it out loud in front of the Father.

"Well..." Salima trail with a shrug cutting through Layla's though" He might have being in shock. Her aunts convince him to leave yesterday night since he wasn't getting much sleep and Umaima is going be discharged today anyway."

"Ideally, he isn't supposed to be staying with her since they're there with her." Layla pointed out the obvious truth which no one really care to comment about.

"Who are we to say otherwise?" Salima murmured  gesturing with her hands "And now this happened, am sure he will regret it so much. You know how he is."

Layla scoffed yet again at her sister in-laws word. And for the umteempth times since she learned of the infant dead, the day her own daughter died yet again flashes before her eyes.

"I doubt that..." She contradict pushing the pillow before she sat straight on the bed. "Until today he hasn't bothered asking me what happened the day Miemie died."

Once again, Salima became shocked and speachless by the revelation she only opened her mouth, then close it back when no word could come out of it.

After what seems like forever, she broke the silence with. "You guys are the most confusing couple I have ever came across."

Layla let out a sound smile not having the courage to correct Salima cause she and Abdulazeez have never being this perfect loving couple.

Early into their marriage, she learned how to be patient with him and always let him have his ways no matter how it hurts her, and now that she thinks about it, it was the only reason they where able to come this far.

But now that she could not compromise anymore, that's why they kept having the clash cause he want her to stay the same, immune to his every treatment of her.

"Just three weeks ago, you guys couldn't stay away from each other even sneaking back to the parking area...hugging..kissing..."

Salima's teasing words send a jolt of nerve down Layla's spine which made her to quickly snapped her already terrifying gaze to Salima.