Chapter Fifteen

A single loud voice echo through the entire hall which is huge with a around table at the middle and about 40 people surrounding it.

It has about 4-6 air conditioner which are working around the clock around the room making it cold, maybe even too cold for some of the occupant of the room.

A huge chandelier shine brightly at the center of the room with most of the people having a laptop and some papers scattered in front of them.

Jawad rested majestically on his chair, blinking his eyes every now and again while moving it side by side as he listened to the exam officer who is currently speaking.

Contrary to the meeting that has been going on for more than an hour now, Layla sat at the other end of the table, far away from him but that did not stopped him from stealing her glances occasionally.

And once again, He glanced her way and wasn't surprised when he saw her still looking the same, like she has ever since she stepped it. The one word he could think of describing her with is lost.

Ever since they came in, she looked different, different not in a good way but a bad way, very bad if he could add. And after the meeting commences, he realizes she has gotten more lost in her own world.

The way she currently looked, with her eyes fixed directly on the bottle of water in front of her, he is sure she doesn't know what is going on in here.

As Jawad pretend to listen, he focus his eyes on her sharp alluring brown ones. They always sparkle especially when she is happy but today they look a bit dull which made him to immediately conclude that something is wrong.

More than an hour later, the meeting came to an end and he watch in silence as they slowly start leaving the hall with Layla still looking exactly as she did ever since she came in.

Jawad sat there patiently, in a nonchalant way, with his phone in his hand pretending to concentrate on it while his whole attention is on her.

He is waiting for everyone to leave before he make his move but unfortunately, a guy passing by her suddenly tap on the table in front of her which made Layla to jolt before she looked around the whole room in confusion.

And her gaze actually settled on him for a semi second before she took it to the guy standing beside her offering him a polite smile.

Jawad watch the interaction with keen interest while feeling something hard hit him on his chest.

The guy was smiling from ear to ear still standing above her as Layla turn to him completely which prevent Jawad from seeing her facial expression only her long fingers that slowly ran from the side of her neck to the back.

As he wait for them, little by little he started getting angry, actually enraged while counting the minutes and seconds trying to come up with the best excuse to send the guy away.

But nothing came to mind, both the guy and Layla are new lecturers, employed at the same time so it will be weird to send the guy away leaving Layla even though most of the lectures are aware of their connection.

Jawad cleared his throat a little loud making sure that his voice is loud enough to caught their attention with his innocent gaze fixed at the laptop in front of him as if he wasn't the one that did it.

Both Layla and the guy looked around the empty room now while Jawad pretend to not know what is going on with his eyes still on his laptop.

He doesn't know what the guy said to Layla, he just found her also pushing her chair while she stood up and without giving him any regards, she headed to the door, walking side by side with the guy.