Thursday

I make much better money Wednesday night but don't see Harris much. He told me once that he's not here much and it's true, I think I am at his camper more than he is. Thursday evening he comes home with two subs and we sit outside and eat. He has some solar lights strung and it's not too cold, it was 73 today and has not cooled off too much yet. I am wrapped in a blanket but he says it's much warmer than Wyoming and that he got enough heat in the desert.

I wait until he has finished eating before raising a very sensitive subject. He is letting me stay here so I will try not to be rude but let's face it, I'll be doing him a huge favor by taking care of it. "Harris?"

"Yes?"

"Who cuts your hairs?"

He raises his eyebrows and then points at his chest.

That explains so much but I can't hold in my 'NO!'

He laughs. "Yeah, I just shave the sides and the curls do whatever they want until I can't stand them and hack them back with the kitchen scissors a couple times a year. I can't bring myself to buzz them completely off but I also don't care."

"No, no, no, why do you white mens always hate your curls? Dios mio! Aye aye aye. You hurt me, Harris, I can fix."

"I have SO much hair Mateo, it's not even funny. There is no hope for it."

I try not to roll my eyes. "I cut Dare's and his is not so thick as yours but looks nice, yes?"

"He has great hair."

"No, he has ME! I will get  good hair scissors, give me trash."

"Now?"

"When is better? We are outside so easy to clean. I will get towel and scissors, stay."

"Yes, mom."

I grab his wrapper and dash inside, returning quickly. I've been wanting to get my hands on his hair for at least a year now and I can finally fix this awful mess. "Put head down and I will wet." I hand him a towel before rather unceremoniously pouring a bottle of water over his head. "Up now. I need to touch, is okay?"

"Unless you have a Flowbee handy, you'll have to."

He enunciates well and doesn't speak too quickly so I don't have much trouble understanding him but this? "Flowbee?" I usually just brush off anything I don't understand but I don't think Harris will yell or think I'm stupid. "I do not know this word."

"It was a crazy thing that hooked to your vacuum, sucked your hair up and cut it." I wish I hadn't asked. "It was a joke, you can go ahead."

I won't lie, it takes me much longer than a usual cut. His hair is uneven and he didn't exaggerate how thick it is. I love red hair; it is rare and that makes it fun. I love how the sunlight bounces off it and if I get to heaven, yeah right, and God grants me a wish, I will wish for red hair. Or maybe wings. Or a really good massage. Or nice shoes. I don't know if God grants wishes in heaven but it seems like he must. "Okay, you are done but need product. Use mine, is in bathroom. Small amount, size of dime. Run through damp hair after towel. You must go shower now."

"Mateo, living with you is certainly interesting. I can't say I've been bored this week. Should I offer you some cash or a tip or would you be offended?"

"I am living here, it is free." Plus I don't have to look at that mess anymore. It's a win-win.

"Alright. Thank you."

He takes a very quick shower and when the bathroom door opens up I can smell my bodywash and hair cream and it's a bit weird to smell some of my scent on another man. His hair looks amazing. "You like?"

"Very much. I feel very fancy now."

"Still live in trailer, not so fancy."

"Can't argue. Hey, can we talk?"

Talking never goes well for me. He probably wants to know when I'll be out and the fact is, I don't really have anywhere to go. Christmas is coming up and I have very few options. Something will work out, it always does. He sits down in the dining room chair and I take the other. "Yes?" I try to think of the band on his shirt to occupy myself. I think I have heard of them but can't think of the songs. He always wears rock band t-shirts and now his hair matches much better. He needs a few leather bracelets and maybe a nose ring. I would pay money to see that, even a fake one.

"I want to start by telling you that this conversation has nothing to do with you being able to stay here. Your life is your choice and I am in no position to put demands on you. That's not what this. This is just me being worried about you. Can we talk about your work?"

My work? Not where I thought this was going but I'm not surprised. He is respectable and has a real job and can not approve of what I do. Still, the fact is that he's letting me stay so I can't be rude. "If you like."

"You mentioned, maybe Sunday? You said something like, correct me if I'm misremembering, but you said you'd work and then buy coke."

"I do not bring here or do here."

He holds up a hand. "It's okay. I'd rather you didn't bring it here but I'm not attacking you, just trying to get a better idea of... can you tell me what a night looks like for you?"

He's actually interested? I find that hard to believe. He's looking for something but I don't know what it is so I decide to be honest. I may as well find out where he really stands. "I suck some dick, make money, get high to do harder things. If I am lucky I pocket that money. Sometimes, because I am high and not thinking so good, I just waste it but usually I do okay. I send some to my mother."

"Oh, you're helping... that's nice of you."

"Must. She cleans hotel but it is not enough."

He sighs. "It's hard." He takes a minute and I wait. "I worry about you on the streets, Mateo. Have you tried cam work or anything else? Private meet-ups? The gangs are fighting over territory and pimps are—"

"I have no pimp, work for me only. Trust me, I know it is not great. I have never done camboy or fans, I do not think anyone would pay just to watch me."

He shrugs. "People pay a lot. Maybe not as much as the streets but if you can do it without snorting half your profit and be safer, maybe it's something to consider? I know it's none of my business and I'm sorry if I overstepped but I guess I'm just checking in and making sure you know you can talk to me and if I can help you out, in any way, let me know."

I can't help but ask. "Do you pay?"

"I don't watch much porn, no. I'm not your average guy though." No, he is right, he is much better than average. "I need to get some work done, it's been a crazy week.  Thanks again for the haircut.  Have a good night."

"Good night Harris."