Chapter 9. Memories

Live
Laugh
Block him/her.

.................

"Hmm". Grandpa hummed, walking to the open window, his walking stick clicking beside him as he takes in the view.

Minutes pass by but he didn't say anything. He would take a sip from his tea, taking a 3 seconds break before he repeated the same motion over again.

I picked a cookie, examining it. Absorbing every tiny details on it.

I can't remember when last I had one of this. I tried cutting off on unnecessary spending in order to afford the basic necessity,which included a roof over our head.

A sparkle of smile dust my face as I remember how I would jump at the sight of this exact rare cookies. It was made in one country and is produced twice a week.

Grandpa would always get me this everytime he visited and when I asked questions about the production of the cookies he would always tell me.

"One day you'll get to see it for yourself". The words danced out of his mouth,like he knew what I was thinking, taking my eyes off the cookies, my concentration was now on him. His eyes where already on me, watching my every move and thought.

His tea cup now empty,dangles from his hand as he streached out his walking stick making his way to the couch backing him.

Putting the tea cup beside the saucer,he pointed to the scotch silently requesting for it as he takes his seat.

Osage hands reached for the bottle's neck but I was quick to grab it.

Grandpa's coral beads sang to the room as he try to make them sit around his neck.

I stretched forward, picking up his empty glass before standing on my feet and making my way towards him.

When I was 6 inches away from his sitting form,I knelt down,as much as my bad leg could let me without pain, offering the glass to him. As a sign of respect.

His eyes never left me as he accepted my offer,watching as I pour him a moderate amount of scotch.

"Mmm" he sigh, delighted at the taste of the expensive scotch on his tongue and granting me approval to stand.

I walked back to the couch that still had my butt print engraved in them while still cradling the bottle of scotch in my hand.

I picked up my glass , drinking the whole content in it.

"Aunty dey calm down naw". I heard Osage say,as I set both bottle and glass down before taking a seat and the cookie tray.

" D thing no b for onle you" Osage grumble,almost making me laugh out loud.

Instead I rolled my lips together as flickers of laugher move round my eyes.

" Osage". Grandpa called, bringing to life the Edo name. Even an outsider would understand the meaning by just hearing grandpa pronounce the name alone.

His gift of bringing the meaning of words alive has always been my greatest goal. I've always practiced and dream to have such gift.

"Sorry sir". Osage's apologizes pouting at being called out for his childish behavior.

Feeling a flicker of pity for him,I streached out the tray towards him, quietly telling him to have some.

His smiled big,taking as much as his hands could contain and more.

A laugh escape my lips as I watch him dump it all on his cloth.

" Glad my circumstances could entertain you". He said glaring with a pout.

I smile missing how we used to be but that was all in the past. He also owed me an explanation for disappearing on me without so much as an explanation but the more I think about it,this could be the reason,but it still didn't give me answers to why he never called.

With that thought in mind,my smile disappeared as I brought the tray back to my chest.

My eyes found grandpa rubbing his index finger on the  lion engraved in his cane, sniffing his drink before taking a sip. He eyes shut close as his veins tattoo his skin and his teeth clamp together.

It's obvious he wasn't a big fan of scotch but that didn't stop him from taking another sip as an ugly look as before takes over his face again.

I picked up a cookie from the tray on my chest,not taking my eyes off grandpa as I took a bit from it.

The sweet savory taste mingle on my taste bud, making each and every part of my body come to life.

Forgotten memories flood my senses as I relieve the past of bliss and calm.

My eyes close by their own demand as a soft moan of appreciation slip from my lips. I took a comforting breath as I snap my eyes open optioning for some green tea, wouldn't want to pass out before the party starts.

Calm could be felt taking over the awkward atmosphere that shadowed the room.

Grandpa silently nodded to himself, hitting his stick on the ground once to grab our attention.

Everything that was in play came to a stop as we both waited for him to begin.

"Death is not yours when you haven't seen him". The parable slip from his lips not making any sense to either of us but we didn't say anything,we let him continue.

Satisfied with the lack of interruption,he sipped from his drink this time his face didn't contour in detest,as he accept the unpleasant sensation and circumstances.

"I was never on the plane. I caught the flu" he explained looking at me straight in the eyes like he was speaking to my soul.

"I had inform my assistant to cancel my flight and c........" Heavy footsteps that could commands a room ricocheting round every surface of the house, halting whatever grandpa wanted to say.

Whispers and shout could be heard from our position,as everyone turn to the open door not bothering to stand up.

A quick glance at Grandpa's relax form as  he holds his stick upright massaging the glass of Scotch in his left hands as he runs his right hand through his properly cut beards, made me know that who ever it was isn't dangerous or I thought they weren't at least.

A barreling shout shook the whole house shutting the whispers and the pleas as the footstep accelerated towards the open door.

"We had a deal" the authoritative voice boomed as a familiar figure stood at the door glaring at no one but my grandfather.