Chapter 11: Friends? Friends.

Vote and comment ❄️

"Would you like something else, Ishan?" My step mother asked him, pretending to be the sweetest person that has ever existed.

"No, thankyou" He refused politely.

"So" My sister said "How's everything?"

I refused to look at her. All this act to show him that they're so nice and warm when they're just cold hearted bitches who wouldn't even want me to step inside the house if I wasn't with him.

"Great" He said "Kaira really knows how to make everyone happy" He gave me a look and I know he meant the other night.

Although I'm sure this might have just boiled their blood even more. They hate me and everything about me.

"Yes she does" Dad said.

I gave him a small smile.

We've been here for about an hour and I can't say about him but it has been awkward to say for the least.

Step 'mom' and sister kept asking him questions to keep the conversation going and he was being polite, I noticed, when he wouldn't just give him one word replies.

Soon we left my house.

I gave a hug to my dad and my sister moved forward to hug me.

I stood there awkwardly with her hands wrapped around me and when she wished me happiness.

I just gave her a tight lipped smile and left.

The drive to his house when we came here was around 1 hour when there was no traffic. It's almost afternoon now, and that means traffic on a Sunday.

I was staring outside of the window.

My sister and I were best friends. She was my go to person. I used to feel bad for people who didn't have a sister.

Not just a sister, a sister like her.

But now all I wish is to never see her again, escape her fake tears and wishes and stuff.

It's her fault as much as it is mine.

But somehow the blame is something that I take upon myself. If I could just go back in time.

"You didn't speak much" I snapped out of my thoughts when I heard him.

His eyes were fixed on the road and his hands on the steering wheel.

"I did" I replied shortly.

He observed me for a second before looking back at the road.

"Kaira look—" He begin. "I know you're still pissed at me for what happened yesterday but trust me, it wasn't my intention to make you feel upset"

I looked at him.

I don't know why but it felt like he genuinely meant it.

"I know" I said.

"And I really am" He said "Sorry, I mean"

I gave him a small smile "It's fine"

He stopped the car behind another when the light turned red. Traffic, great.

"You sure?" He looked at me with a frown.
I nodded and smiled like I meant it. I saw his lips turn upwards in a smile.

With a lot of guts, I said "I never thanked you" I didn't look in his eyes.

"You don't have to" He said.

"No, I do" I said "It felt like I was trapped in that...in that nightmare. I thought I'd be stuck in there forever"

He didn't say anything as he waited for me to continue.

"It just feels...whenever something nice to me happens, your family I mean, my family wasn't...we weren't this happy. And nazar na lage, I haven't seen a family like yours. God! we weren't that happy even during our best days. In so many days the huge void in my chest felt like it was starting to heal. And at these times, the nightmares begin. I don't know, it's mostly when I think I'm alone, and that's when it affects me the most"

"You're not alone" He said "And my family isn't perfect, Kaira. There's a problem in every family and there's one in mine too, in our family. It's mine as much as it's yours"

The car was moving again.

A few minutes passed by and both of us were silent.
And I couldn't have been more wrong about him.

No one has ever let me talk as much as I did just now. People usually cut me off before I could finish.

"Can I just say something?" He asked and I nodded.

"We're married" He began "and there's no way out now, whether you want it or not. If we're constantly arguing and keeping things from each other then I don't think our life will be all sunshine"

And he's right.

Mostly it's just me giving the silent treatment.

"I want us to be friends" He said "I want us to be able to talk to each other about stuff. To be able to find comfort. Because in the end, it'll be just us"

I felt butterflies in my stomach at his words. He was just being truthful and stating his expectations but I found his words and his voice hot.

Shut up, Kaira.

"I want that too" I replied.

"Plus" He said "I don't do divorce, so you're kind of stuck with me" There it was, his smirk.

I just chuckled and rolled my eyes.

"Friends?" He asked again.

"Friends"

He smiled while looking at the road and his dimples appeared. I couldn't help but stare.

"So now tell me"
"What?"
"Why didn't you speak much?"

I thought about what to say for a minute.

"It's just—they've not been the best to me. Or even nice enough to me. And today? They were pretending like they're so loving and it felt so weird"

"It was written so clearly on your face" He laughed.

"Was it?!" I exclaimed. My eyes widened.

"Yes!" He laughed again "Ek dum muh sada ke baithi thi tum. It was literally so evident"

I don't know why but it made laugh too.

"Also" I said "You can flirt with all the girls you like. I don't mind, the last time—"

Something flickered in his eyes and it could've seemed like hurt but just for a few seconds.

"You're my wife" He said, his voice different and my chest fluttered "Haq hai tumhara, sab cheez bolne ka. Mujhe pasand aaye ya na aaye"
(It's your right to say anything you want. Whether I like it or not)

"Besides" He smiled "I wouldn't back down from bruising someone's eye if he flirts with you"

I felt heat rise to my cheeks as he said the words.
I didn't, couldn't reply.

I was so wrong about him.