Chapter 4: The fair

"Ji Ji. You're absolutely right"

I was about to go to the fair with my paintings when I heard my dad talking to someone loudly with a smile on his face.

I wondered who it would that he's calling right. He never tells someone that they're right.

After he cut the call, he paced from the kitchen to the living room then did that again and again. I came here to tell him that I'm leaving but he's literally worrying me now.

"Papa?" I said and he looked at me like he just noticed me right now "Are you okay?"

He didn't stop pacing and bringing eating items out and setting them on the table.

"Hanji bachhe" He said "Ishan is coming over"

My heart stopped beating at the mention of his name. Why? Why god why! I'm literally going out to my fair and this guy is showing up at my house and my dad will ask me to stay and I'll get late and then NO ONE will buy my paintings.

He's ruining my life already.

"Why- why is Mr Singhania coming here?"

He looked at me like I'm dumb and don't understand anything. He walked over to me and took my paintings out of my hand.

"He's taking you to your fair"

I will kill myself.

"HUH? My fair? What does that mean? I'm leaving. I'm not gonna—"

We heard a car stop accompanied by the ringing of the door bell and my dad didn't even let me finish before he jogged to the door.

"Arey Ishan! How are you? Kaira is just here. Come come. I got snacks for you" My dad enthusiastically said to the man.

"Thankyou sir but I think we should get going" He said to my father and he sounded so genuine and thankful, unlike our meeting a week ago where he abruptly left me "I heard it starts at 2?" He looked directly at me when he said that.

I stood there for a few seconds and cursed him mentally for looking at me then realised he was waiting for my answer.

"Y-yes"

Ishan came forward and took the painting from my hand and the ones that were supported against the wall, all wrapped in brown paper so they don't get damaged.

"Oh" My dad said, sadly. "Well then go on, kids. Go show the world your talent, mera bachha" He kissed my forehead gently and pushed me not so gently out of the door.

I almost stumbled into Ishan's chest before getting a hold of myself. For a person who's sick and old, my dad has a lot of power for yanking me out of the house.

I saw him wave innocently when we got into the car.

I put the seatbelt on. Ishan put a hand on the back of my headrest and rolled the steering wheel while looking back, trying to get the car out of the parking.

We didn't speak much the whole ride. My paintings were in the trunk of his car. I fidgeted with my fingers and tried my best to not look out of the window.

He suddenly cleared his throat, catching my attention.
"My mom said that we should spend a little more time together"

"Oh" Was all I said.

So he didn't come here on his own but because he was forced by his mom to take me to the fair. I'm very very capable of doing and going to the fair by myself. I don't need his charity.

Ishan's pov:

She looked so simple yet so beautiful in her kurti and jeans. I saw her silver jhumke dangling from her ears and the bangles in her hands matched her jhumke.