Chapter 5: The rushed engagement

"I hate to be the bearer of bad news but he's not getting any better and he might not live more than a month" The doctor said "I'm sorry there's nothing we could do"

"No. No, that's not true. He' eating, he's resting, he's walking just fine. How could you say that! He's fine. He's fine, okay? He's not going to die!" I said loudly.

We were in the hospital and I found out that my dad went out alone and was walking but then collapsed suddenly and our neighbor saw him and brought him to the hospital immediately.

I was having a full breakdown in front of everyone and I was screaming at the doctor. Not actually screaming, but people would've thought I was insane.

"I am really sorry, but we tried--"
"WELL TRY HARDER" I said "Because you're not doing enough! Because if you would've then HE WILL SURVIVE"

The doctor looked pleadingly at Mr Singhania and I felt his hands on my shoulders, trying to get me out of this conversation.
"Kaira" He said "Let's go"
"No. I am not going anywhere until he says that my dad is okay. I will not leave"

His grip on my shoulder tightened "Kaira" He said threateningly and I got a little scared.
I turned and looked at him and he did not look like he was joking. I let him take me away before I could do something to the doctor.

His family was also here. His mom and dad found out and they came straight here. I saw his mom tensed and she was praying. When they saw us coming, they stood up immediately.

"What did the doctor say?" His dad asked, equally tensed.

Ishan didn't say anything but looked at me and sighed. Out of the corner of my eye, I saw him shook his head. I didn't understand why they were here but it kind of made me feel nice to be with someone apart from my sister and step-mother who hate me.

"I'll go have a word with the doctor" Mr. Singhania said and left.

His mom held my hands and made me sit beside her. I will not cry in front of her. It was very hard for me to get a hold of myself before we reached the hospital and if I cry now, I won't stop.

"It'll be okay, bachhe" She said, she put a hand around my shoulder and I was suddenly reminded of my mom. The same warmth, the same aura and comfort. I did not realize it when I leaned my head on her shoulder and she held me protectively.

I saw my step mother and sister rushing in and they looked around to see anyone they knew. Their eyes landed on me and they walked over to us immediately. I didn't look up neither did I change my position.

Why did she let him go out of the house? It's her fault he's here.

I saw them moving their lips and speaking but I couldn't hear anything. I didn't know what was happening but everything seemed to be moving really slow and I was still. I didn't move.

I saw that my step-mom brought her hand forward to slap me or shake me or do whatever, but his mom kept her hand on my cheeks and didn't let my evil step mom do anything.

Then I saw the doctor come towards us along with Mr. Singhania and he said something to all of them. Both my sister and step mom left with the doctor.

Mr Singhania was saying something to his parents and he was frowning a little but his parents weren't. What was he saying?

I felt his hand on shoulder, gently.

"Kaira?" He said and I was able to hear him. I came back to my senses and sat up straight. I looked at him. "Your dad is calling you"

I nodded my head and after a few steps I almost fell but he held my shoulders. He helped me walk to my dad's room. Why was he doing this?

We walked inside the room and I saw so many tubes and medicines and a nebuliser. My heart shattered at the sight. My joyful dad looked so weak and helpless.
I will kill that doctor.

"Why did you go outside, papa?" I scolded him.

I heard him chuckle through his mask.
"I'm fine beta. I'm still healthy as a horse"

I couldn't take it anymore.
It was hurting me so much that I felt like I could collapse any time. His positivity hurt me even more. He's...dying and he says he's healthy as a horse. What am I? 3?

I pushed the door and walked out of the room. I cannot stand there and listen to him say he's okay.

My heart was beating so fast. Everything was turning black. I should close my eyes. That will make me feel better. Yes. I will close my eyes.

It feels nice. My heartbeat was getting in control.

Breaking me out of my peace, I felt someone patting my cheeks. My eyes opened and I saw that I was on the floor. When did that happen?

"Open your eyes Kaira" The voice said and I obeyed the voice. Mr Singhania was kneeling in front of me. One of his hands was on my cheeks and the other in my hairs.

Upon opening my eyes, he stood up and extended his hand to help me stand up. I took it.
Wow.

"Do you need some water?" He asked and I shook my head.
He nodded. "Look, you need to be strong for him. He's really weak at the moment and if he sees you breaking down he'll not be too happy about it"

"I can't do it" I said, tears filling my eyes "I can't go inside and pretend he's okay. I just can't"

He pulled me a little closer and I rested my head on his chest as I cried. "Shh" He said "I know" He simply just held and smoothly brushed his hand through my hair as he comforted me.

After some while, after I was calmed down we went in again and this time I sat on the stool beside his bed and talked to him with a supporting smile.

My dad is the best dad in the world and I will stick by it. He's fun, he's chill, he's supportive, he's inspiring, he's motivating.

His eyes diverted to Mr Singhania and they seem to be having conversations with their eyes. What is that about?

"Kaira, I have a request" Dad said. "Apne papa ki ek aakhri khwaaish puri krde"

"What is it, papa?"

He gestured for Mr Singhania to come forward and he did. Suddenly, he took my hand and kept it in his hand. My eyebrows thinned.

What is he doing?

"Ishan, dil ka tukda hai meri beti. Dil ne kaam karna band kar diya lekin isko kabhi pyaar karna band nhi kr skta, marte hue bhi. Bhot badi responsibility de rha hu tum dono ko lekin Ishan tumhe kabhi bete se kam nahi samjha. Professor or student wala relation nahi, baap bete wala relation raha hai humara. Or aaj ye baap apni beti ka haath tujhe de raha hai. Khayaal rakhoge na iska?"

My tears started flowing again and I was silently crying as he said all of it.

I looked up at Mr Singhania with tearful eyes but saw that he was already looking at me. He had a serious look on his face.

"Humesha" He said, looking at me.

My dad took out his wallet and in it, was a beautiful diamond ring.

"This was your mother's" He said to me and gave the ring to Mr Singhania. He took it from his hands.

Mr Singhania gently lifted my hand and slid the ring in my ring finger. I didn't even for once look at what he was doing because my sobs grew.

I shut my eyes close as I felt him push the ring in my finger but he didn't let go of my hand when it was done.

"I'll keep her happy, sir" He said "I promise I will"

With that, he let go of my hand and left the room, the door shut loudly behind him.

"Please don't hate me, Kaira" Dad said and I just shook my head and kept it on his chest as he stroke my hair gently.

***
vote and comment❄️
*double update*