chapter 6

Y/n pov

"No, if you don't mind sharing." I shrugged while he stared at me perplexed. The staff looked embarrassed.
"They moved us to a suite. They thought... well... I'll explain it later." I chuckled nervously.
"The suite has two separate rooms, Sir. Both of you will have your own privacy. I assure you." The manager reacted a bit defensively while smiling apologetically at Jungkook.
"We'll take it. Everywhere else is full, anyway." The porter took the key card, and we followed him to our suite. I had to mentally prepare myself before entering.
After settling in, Jungkook said.
"Pick a room, Miss Kim." In the meantime, I had taken a seat on the couch, not wanting to move from there.
"Anything will do, honestly." I answered absent-mindedly and talking to myself, I added.
"Like choosing one is gonna make it any better." He must have heard that because even if he was in the room next to the common hall, he hurried back, saying.
"Miss. Kim?! Is there something wrong? Did I do something to spite you?" I lifted my eyes to look at him.
"Oh, no! Not at all. It's not you, it's me." I tried to explain.
"When women say that, it usually means it's the other way around." He tilted his head a bit, fixing me. I felt the need to explain before things the atmosphere got weirder.
"Yoongi used to book this suite every time we were in Tokyo. When I booked a room for two, they thought it was for him and I. It was always him who took care of this stuff." I summed it up briefly.
"You should have told me downstairs. I don't want you to feel uncomfortable. I'll look for something else right now." Instinctively, I got up and grabbed his wrist in order to stop him.
"No, please. It's fine, really. It's just a sleeping arrangement, anyway." I answered, releasing his hand.
"Are you sure?" He asked, not entirely convinced.
"Yes, thank you for your concern." I managed to give him a faint smile so he could let go of the subject.
"We've got an hour before the first meeting. I'll order room service so you can eat something before we leave. It's gonna be a long day, and you didn't touch any food on the plane." I wasn't used at him being so considerate. No, scratch that. It's like he had been hiding this whole other personality in an attic somewhere and finally decided to take it out for a walk. I placed my luggage in the corner of the room and looked for the outfit that I would be wearing for the day while waiting for the food to arrive.
As expected, we spent the whole day going from a meeting to another. During the last meeting, the only thing I could think of was taking a shower and having a good night sleep. Jungkook must have noticed cause he left me off the hook earlier than I thought. Maybe he took pity of me since I suppressed a yawn during the last chart display. He, on the other hand, was as fresh as new. I was fully convinced that the man had stamina for days. As soon as I entered my room, I threw the shoes away, uncaring on where they would land. I jumped on the bed, still dressed, and convinced I would get up after taking five. When I opened my eyes, it was already dawn. I looked at the clock on my phone and it was almost six o'clock. I had slept through the whole night. While getting up, I realized I had the covers on. I must have dragged them in my sleep, I thought to myself.
I tip-toed through the hall, fearing I would wake Jungkook up. But soon I realized that there was no one but me inside the suite. The common hall was empty, too. Jungkook's door room was opened, and I took a quick glance inside. The bed was messy, which meant he was out somewhere. I could finally use the bigger bathroom equipped with a bathtub and take my time, and relax properly. I put on my earphones and got inside the enormous bathtub. After the tenth songs or something, having stayed for so long soaked in hot water, I started to feel sleepy again. Before sliding down and drowning, I decided it was time to get out. I stood up, looking for the bathrobe, which was a bit far from my arm's reach. My feet were still immersed inside the water as I was trying to reach the bathrobe. Right then, I heard the door crack open. Jungkook appeared in front of me, bare chested and only with his running pants on. We kept staring at each other, and in the attempt to cover myself up, I slipped. He caught me on time, and I found myself entangled in his arms. One hand was on my upper back, between my shoulder blades, and the other one around my waist. Instinctively, I anchored myself to him to keep the balance. The silence that reigned solemn in that moment started to become suffocating. I could hear my own heart beating inside my chest like a drum. Jungkook finally broke the awkward silence and whispered in my ear.
"Let me get the bathrobe for you." I saw him extend his hand towards the bathrobe and place it around my shoulders. When I felt the cloth on me, I realized I was still anchored to his body. He slowly moved me in an upright position with our faces almost less than an inch from one another.
"Sorry I barged in. I thought... " He gulped as he kept staring at my lips. I was paralyzed and wasn't able to mutter a word. Then, just like that, he stepped out of the bathroom. As soon as I got out of the tub, I opened the window to get some cool air. I put my head out, and when the cold air hit my face, my breathing started to improve. Just when I thought I had it under control, my mind started traveling into dangerous territories. I got to have a full view of the perfection that was his upper body and his sleeve tattoo, which I had only seen partially that morning when I woke up in his bed. And to think that, as a person that has always been repulsed by tattoos, on him, it looked darn good. I went to take a look at myself in the mirror.
"Y/n, what are you doing, huh?!" When I finally managed to find the courage to get out, I found him waiting for me in the hallway.
"Uhm... I didn't know you were there, I swear." He was looking everywhere but me, which I found extremely cute. I mentally slapped myself twice before answering.
"Don't worry. It was just an accident. It was my fault, actually. I should have used my own bathroom." He hummed while scratching the back of his head.
"I'm gonna take a shower too, then. I ordered room service, by the way. A bit of everything. Feel free to dig in." I nodded, still a bit unsettled from what happened. I kept wondering what else was going to happen now that we were confined in such a small space.
During breakfast, no one dared to talk about the bathroom incident again. The rest of the day ran smoothly, and we got back at our suite around seven o'clock in the evening, both exhausted.
"I don't want to see another human being until next year, I swear." He threw himself on the big couch in the common area. One leg was fully on the couch while the other one was hanging out.
"Not even me?!" I teased him. He opened one eye to look at me and smirked.
"You are the only exception, Miss Kim." I turned around and went back to my room with a silly smile on my face. After getting out of a long shower, I was still in my bathrobe when I heard a knock on my door.
"I'm indecent!" I exclaimed out loud.
"I doubt it, but... anyway. I just wanted to let you know that I'm going out for a drink. I don't know when I'll get back." As soon as I heard him say that, I opened the door wide.
"Oh! Uhm... okay?!" I answered. He grinned cutely while staring at my dressing attire.
"I thought you were tired."
"Yes, I am. But, I need to clear my head a bit, and I don't feel like staying in my room." Suddenly, I felt abandoned and sad, even knowing I had no right to. He was my boss, for crying out loud.
"Do you want to join me?" He asked all of a sudden. My eyes flipped open, not expecting it. He got immediately defensive and added.
"If you don't have any other plans, of course. This is your private time, and you don't owe me anything. I'm sorry I asked. I'm being so... " He found himself in a loop until I stopped him.
"Let me put something on, and I'll join you." Whenever he was taken aback by something I did or said, it was always funny to witness his reaction.
It took us around twenty minutes to get to this club. On our way, Jungkook told me that it had opened only recently and wanted to check it out.
"It's incredible here. I'm so glad I decided to join you." He smiled warmly as a waiter showed us the way to our table. It was placed near a big window that faced an amazing zen garden. The place was very elegantly furnished, in a Japanese modern style. Jungkook was fascinated by the view, and I was fascinated by him as I kept staring shamelessly. I must have been in deep thoughts and put on my serious face because when he turned around, he caught me off guard asking.
"Why are you staring at me like you're plotting murder?!" He chuckled softly.
"Maybe I am." I narrowed my eyes at him, to feed his fervent imagination even more.
"You would have done it already if that was the case." He dismissed it quickly, much to my chagrin.
"What makes you think that I still don't?! Maybe I wanted to befriend you first and wait for you to have your guard down." I feigned a suspicious look.
"Seriously, what were you thinking?" He asked, his expression a bit more serious now.
"Like how differently you behave when you're outside the office. You look quite... uhm...?!" I pretended to not be able to find the right word.
"Human?!" He answered.
"Yeah. That's exactly the word I was going for." I replied with a grin.
"Well, since it's confession time, I guess you aren't half bad yourself. Outside the office, I mean." He stressed the last phrase.
"Well, obviously. Thanks... I guess." I took the drink in my hand and almost shoved my face inside the glass while staring at him.
"Just ask away. You've been struggling to get it off your chest since we left the hotel. C'mon, what is it?" After placing his drink on the coffee table, he got comfortable on the chair waiting for me to give him the third degree.
"Okay then. Why my father? I have a feeling you've planned this all along." I spurted out.
"I did." He answered promptly and then, seeing me so taken aback, added.
"What?! Are you shocked that I told you the truth?!"
"A bit, yeah." I replied, now not knowing what to do with this information.
"I needed him to pursue my own career. As you already may know, your father is a great businessman. The best in the country, I might add." I huffed at his description of my father, which was far away from the reality that I knew.
"Well, at least he's best at something cause he sucks big time at being a father and a husband." I sipped a little from my glass.
"I knew your relationship was on shaky grounds, but I thought it was just because of the recent events." He failed to mention the elephant in the room by name.
"When I was little, I remember how I used to go to my parents' bedroom whenever I had a nightmare and always found my mother crying alone in bed. My father was never home. He was always away with one of his mistresses." He listened attentively, without interrupting.
"You seemed really close with your brothers, though. At least something good came out of him." I smiled fondly like I always did when someone mentioned my brothers.
"While growing up, our parents didn't show much love to us, so we showed loved to each other, instead. My brothers are my only family. Our parents were always busy doing something else rather than parenting, so they were my only company while growing up. The nannies came and went. My mother didn't want them to stay for a long time, fearing we might get emotionally attached to them." He looked like he wanted to get to somewhere else.
"What about Yoongi?"
"What about him?!" I sighed, frustrated.
"Are you emotionally attached to him?"
"I've known him for a long time, and I do think I loved him. He was the first man I got close to who wasn't inside my family circle. I got so dependent on him. Slowly, he found out my vulnerabilities and used it against me. Or better say, to his advantage."
"You mean, your daddy issues?!" I shook my head in disbelief.
"What about you? Have you ever been in love, Sir?" I asked, wanting so badly to reciprocate.
"You can call me Jungkook when we're outside the office, like tonight. And, when there's no one around. We've overstepped a lot of boundaries since we've met. Calling each other on a first name basis won't be the end of the world. I promise." I eyed him for a second.
"Isn't it gonna be weird, though?!" I asked a bit dubious.
"No more weirder than you waking up in my bed or seeing you naked in the shower." He winked at me, smirking.
"Ssshhhh... people gonna hear you!" I kicked his leg playfully and immediately gasped, holding back my breath.
"It's fine, relax. No one here knows us. And we're having fun, aren't we?!" He settled back on his chair.
"I'm sorry, I didn't mean to hit you. Not tonight, at least." He laughed heartily, making me laugh along with him.
"You are the only one that questions my authority, you know?! That's why I'm so keen on disciplining you." He candidly confessed.
"Disciplining me?! You make me feel like I'm back in school again. It's like when the principal used to call me to his office every time I did something remotely questionable." I replied with a grin.
"I didn't take you for a mischievous kid, Y/n." I think my heart skipped a bit when I heard him call my name like that.
"I was raised with three bigger brothers. What do you think?!" He chuckled, shaking his head.
"And you're avoiding my question, Jungkook." For the first time, I called him by his first name, and I liked how it rolled on my tongue.
"Yes, I loved someone, once." Why was I suddenly disappointed?! Did I expect him to say the opposite?!
"Did she break your heart? That's why you were so bitter to me."
"No, Y/n, that's not why I... It has nothing to do with you." Then, he said the most unexpected thing that shook me to the core.
"She died!" He replied coldly while the corner of his mouth started to twitch.
"Oh! I'm... I'm really sorry." I couldn't put into words how I regretted teasing him about something like that.
"It's not like it's your fault." His mood changed drastically. He clammed up, and for a moment, it felt like I was looking at the few weeks ago version of Jungkook.
"Do you mind if we get back to the hotel?! I need to go over some things before tomorrow morning's meeting." He asked politely but decisively, clearly using work as an excuse.
"No, of course not." He paid, and we left the club. The atmosphere of some moments ago had totally changed, and it got aloof again between us.
"Can we just walk instead of taking a taxi? I could use some fresh air." I asked quite pleadingly, not knowing what to expect from him anymore.
"If that's what you want." He answered.
"Yes, please." I exclaimed a bit too enthusiastically.
We kept each other company as we walked side by side. After the earlier conversation, something had shifted between us. I raised my eyes to look at the night sky when I felt a cold breeze over my shoulders. Even if it was late spring, the evenings were still pretty chilly. I started to massage my arms to get warmed up. He didn't say anything but took off his jacket and put it around my shoulders.
"Thanks." I said quite embarrassed.
"You're welcome." He smiled so tenderly that my body temperature started to go up all of a sudden. As we walked a bit more, I noticed he kept turning his head back.
"Is there something wrong?" I asked in a low voice.
"I don't want to alarm you, but I think we're being followed. I believe we have been since we left the club." In another situation, I would've freaked out but not tonight. His presence ignited a deep sense of security in me. We walked for a bit more, and all of a sudden, he grabbed my hand, holding it in his. It was big and warm, and it felt like a hug.
"Relax. Try to act naturally." He whispered to my ear. I kept walking, and without noticing it, I was squeezing his hand.
"Maybe it's just a coincidence. He probably lives somewhere nearby." I said, not letting go of his hand. All of a sudden, he dragged me in the nearest alley. It was pitch black and only a dim light illuminating that portion of street.
"We'll see if that's the case." He pushed me softly on the wall and placed his hand on the back of my head, fearing I might hit the wall. I saw him leaning towards my face closer and closer, and I thought he was going to kiss me, just like when these kinds of things happened in movies. But, he made me lean my head on his shoulder.
"Can you see him?" I whispered on his chest.
"No, not yet. There's no one in the street." He answered in the same tone while patting the back of my head.
"That's crazy. Let's just get out of... ." I wasn't able to finish because Jungkook held me close to him. Not being sure what to do, I secured my hands around his waist, holding him tight.
"There's nothing to be afraid of. You're safe with me." He must have thought I was getting scared when in reality I was just getting incredibly comfortable with him so close to me. I could have stayed there all evening and not minding it a bit. Then, a man dressed in black and a baseball cap passed by jogging slowly but looking nothing like he was following anyone. He turned around and smiled at someone. After a few seconds, a girl dressed exactly like him showed up. They kissed and proceeded the run.
"False alarm, I guess." I exclaimed, feeling relieved, but when I realized it was time to let him go, my mood changed.
"Yeah." He answered dryly, still looking puzzled.

Author pov

"Master Kim, I am on it, but that slick bastard realized they were bein followed." Yoongi spoke on the phone, heavily breathing.
"You idiot! If you hadn't cheated on my daughter, we wouldn't need to be doing this right now." He yelled on the other side of the phone.
"Are you sure he's the same person?" Yoongi asked, still hidden but not flickering his eyes away from the street.
"Of course, I'm sure. Why do you think I wanted him close to me where I could keep an eye on him?!" Mr. Kim replied, quite bothered.
"Then you shouldn't have left them work together, don't you think?!" Yoongi retorted back.
"You know how she is. The more you pressure her, the more she'll want to do the opposite. And he told me they were on the outs. I expected him to fire her at one point." Mr. Kim was more and more frustrated since he could only count on Yoongi when it came to these kinds of stuff.
"Well, he clearly lied cause they are walking hand in hand, and I have to follow them like a thief." Yoongi tried not to raise his voice even though he was angry.
"That's entirely your fault. Don't take away your eyes from my daughter, are we clear?! And don't let the two of them get close or you're done for. Do what you have to do and get them away from each other." Mr. Kim ordered and hung up the phone without letting Yoongi speak.
"Will do, Sir." He answered to a beeping sound and then added.
"Don't worry, old man. I know as much about you as you know about me. All in due time." Then proceeded to call back up.

JK pov

This was the last evening in Tokyo, and tomorrow we will be going back to Seoul. The fact that from starting tomorrow I wouldn't have to see Y/n in the morning when I woke up was already making me moody and depressed. Tonight, we had to participate in the closing event in which neither Y/n nor I wanted to go, but we were kind of obliged to.
"We show up, talk to some people, and then leave." I said to her while trying to fix my cufflinks.
"Let me." She said and ran to help me. I couldn't take my eyes off of her. She looked stunning in her long black dress combined with a small Mandarin collar, making her look incredibly sophisticated.
"You look really good." I said nonchalantly as soon as she was done with the cufflinks. Truth was, I wanted to get on my knees and worship her properly like she deserved.
"Thank you. You don't look bad yourself." She answered, smiling warmly.
I offered her my arm as we entered the venue under everyone's staring gaze.
"They're looking at us." She said in a low voice, squeezing my arm a bit.
"No. They're looking at you and I don't like it!" I exclaimed, narrowing my eyes at whoever dared to look her way.

Y/n pov

My heart started fluttering out of nowhere when she said he didn't like it when other men looked at me. Then I tried to humble myself down, thinking that maybe it was just because I had attracted unwanted attention.
"Don't leave my side, okay?! Even if these... individuals are high-ups, you should never trust anyone. In no time, they'll start drinking and behave like pigs." I nodded promptly, having no intention of leaving his side even if he hadn't asked me to.
After a while, my feet were starting to kill me. Walking on heels and staying seated wearing heels were two different things.
"I'll go sit down for a while. My feet are killing me." He looked at me and said.
"If you want, you can go upstairs and call it a night. We're almost done here." He brushed my arm softly.
"I'll go find a seat and wait for you there. When you're done, we can leave together." He nodded and then added.
"Take a seat somewhere where I could see you, okay?!" I rolled my eyes, thinking he was going a bit overboard with feeling protective. After a few moments that I finally got to sit and started to relax, I saw a man in his late thirties get closer to my table. I thought he was about to sit somewhere nearby, but then he placed himself in front of me.
"Can I have this dance, Miss?" He asked, extending his hand to me.
"Thank you but I have to decline your invitation." I feigned politeness but clearly bothered by his proximity. I tilted my head a bit on the side, looking for Jungkook, but that stupid man moved too, blocking my view again.
"Oh, come on, it's just a little dance." Now I really wanted to hit him in the face, but I didn't want to cause a scene. I stood up and was about to leave when I heard a familiar voice behind me say.
"The lady said no." I turned around swiftly to look at him.
"Yoongi?!"