Chapter 20

Zombizou :]

"Oh no, oh no, oh no," I murmur anxiously as I frantically search through the shelves of the general store.

"Why didn't anyone think to warn me about this?!" I question in frustration.

It's early in the morning, just an hour before class starts, and instead of getting ready, I'm here scrambling to find a gift for Ms. Bustier.

Malika pops out from my pocket, her furry face wearing a judgmental expression. 

"Didn't Marinette mention this a while back?" she points out.

"Do I look like the kind of person who pays attention to things?!" I snap back, my agitation evident as I speed-walk around the store.

"Maybe you don't even need to get a gift? I'm sure she won't expect one, you are the new kid after all," Malika suggests, but I shake my head in disagreement.

"But I've been here long enough where I should get her something," I reply, feeling a sense of obligation weighing on me.

"She's the nicest teacher I've ever had. Better than the ones back home, that's for sure. I need to get her something," I whisper, my thoughts drifting back to memories of the past, lost in contemplation.

Malika frowns at my sudden downturn in mood, scanning the surroundings in search of something to lift my spirits. Her eyes light up as she spots it—a pretty plant in the gardening section, its delicate buds hinting at hidden beauty.

She nudges me, drawing my attention to the plant, and I approach it with a puzzled expression.

"A plant?" I ask Malika.

She beams up at me, brimming with excitement as she explains. 

"Yes! What better than a simple plant to give Ms. Bustier? You can say it's a symbol of how she nurtures the students' growth!"

I ponder her words as I gaze at the plant, its label reading 'Peace Lily.'

"Hm," I murmur, a soft smile gracing my lips as I pick up the small pot.

"A bit sappy, but I like it. Thanks, Malika," I say gratefully.

"I just hope she does as well" I add with a hint of worry before proceeding to the checkout counter with the plant in hand.

 ------------------------------------

Arriving at school with just 10 minutes to spare before homeroom, I hurry to the locker rooms, being careful not to jostle the plant in my hands. I've adorned it with a small bow and attached a thank-you note, hoping it's enough.

Entering the locker rooms, I find most of the class already there, each holding a gift for Ms. Bustier. Quietly, I join them, listening as they discuss the significance of their gifts.

"Okay... good signs" I mutter, trying to reassure myself.

As I walk up to my own locker to retrieve what I need for the day, I notice a certain someone attempting to sneak up behind me.

Before she can make her move, I call out her name without even turning to look at her.

"Morning, Alix."

She jerks back in surprise. 

"You witch! How did you know?"

"I felt a disturbance in the force" I quip, finally turning around to face her.

Alix gives me a disgruntled look before breaking into an excited smile.

"Are you ready for Ms. Bustier's birthday!?" Alix asks eagerly.