Chapter 13

Reflekta

Weeks have passed and the class has been buzzing in excitement for the past few days since the class photos are coming up.

Personally, i hate class photos.

It's just a lot of stress trying to make sure you look good, especially knowing that whatever the photographer takes is your photo for the rest of the school year.

I whine on the steps of the school courtyard as our class waits in line for the picture. I check my phone camera for the 100th time, nitpicking every detail.

Only class pictures can make you this insecure.

I slowly put my phone away as i bury my head into my arms, trying to forget about the whole thing. That's when i hear 2 pairs of feet shuffling next to me.

"Everything okay Y/N?" asks a squeaky voice from beside me.

I look up from my arms, immediately recognizing the voice.

"Yeah, just don't like taking class pics you know..." i reply back to Rose, my tired face reflecting my words.

"Ugh, tell me about it... at least you aren't jinxed.." complains Juleka from the other side of me. She lays on my shoulder with a frown.

"What do you mean?" i ask confused, my hand automatically grabs Juleka's in a comforting manner.

Juleka pauses for a second before sighing, "Ever since I was little, every time someone takes a photo of me, something always goes wrong. Whether it's a dumb pigeon flying past my face or i'm shoved out of frame."

"I'm sure it's just a little bit of bad luck Juleka" i say with a small smile.

But she doesn't look convinced, she just sighs deeper and leans into me more. I feel my heart pang in sympathy.

I glance at Rose for advice but she shares the same face as Juleka's. I squint my eyes in thought before turning back to Juleka.

"Hey, we'll do everything we can to make sure it goes right this time. So i better see that smile!" i say, following my words with my own bright smile as i look into Juleka's, beautiful, amber eyes.

I have to force my eyes from drifting lower.

Juleka's porcelain skin turns dark red as she gives me the best smile she can muster.

Here I thought that was as red as she could get but i was poorly mistaken. Since the minute she glanced at Rose next to me she erupted in a blush. She faces away from the both of us at the speed of light as she tries to cover her embarrassment.

My eyebrows furrowed in confusion as i turned to Rose, only catching a glance of her phone before she hides her hands.

"What?" she asks innocently with a wide grin.

"Um-?" i try to ask but the photographer suddenly calls for the next class.

"Ok, time to flash your pearly whites, guys!" He exclaims, walking up to us as he looks us over.

"Hmm, you kids take a seat in the front bench." He orders, gesturing to Alix, Max, Rose, Marinette and Mylene. They all take a seat on the first bench.

I giggle quietly to myself, "shorties" i mutter to Juleka.

She giggles quietly in response.

The class is whispering to themselves until Chloe shouts, "Look Sabrina, they're up front in the baby seats! Go on rugrats, don't forget to take your thumbs out of your mouths!" The two girls laugh.

I glare behind her, only i can make fun of them after all.

"Well, next row! Hmmm... You, you, you and you go stand on the rear bench, please." The photographer asks, pointing at Nathaniel, Alya, Sabrina, and Chloe.