Chapter 19

Captain Hardrock

"Oops! Sorry Mylene. My bad!"

I overhear Marinette say as i walk onto the familiar houseboat.

Without a word, the boat erupts into a chorus of greetings as everyone welcomes me on board.

"Hey now. Please hold the autographs until after the show!" i wave dismissively as i acknowledge everyone.

Marinette and Alya walk up to me as i get through my greetings.

"You aren't even the one playing today, what autographs?" sasses Alya.

"Hmph. Can't help it when the fans know what they want." I sass right back, exaggerating a kissy face towards Marinette.

Marinette chuckles in response before lightly shoving me away.

"I don't know where you get that confidence from. One day i'm going to have to knock you down a peg." she says with a challenging smirk.

I clutch my pearls in bewilderment.

"B-but you love when i'm like this! What's so different today?!" i question in faux desperation.

Marinette pauses at my words, looking off into the distance with that unsure/distressed look that i despise so much.

"I don't know.." she responds.

My eyebrows crease in confusion.

Suddenly, Anarka walks up to us.

"Captain Anarka speaking to ya'! So how's it comin' along me young pirates? Ready to celebrate the- Whatcha up to, there, matey?" Juleka's mom suddenly asks Marinette and the group.

Who were previously cleaning up the deck for the concert before i arrived.

Marinette snaps out of her stupor and responds politely, "Uh, hello ma'am. I'm cleaning up for tonight! Your boat's gonna be clean as a whistle!"

Anarka snorts at the idea.

"You're cleaning? We never pick up in this house! Didn't me daughter tell you? We like the lived-in look. We have no rules on The Liberty! Out of chaos comes creation! Messiness is life!" she exclaims before picking up the previous cleaned up items and trashing them around the deck.

I share a glance with Marinette.

"I'll pick it up." i whisper in her ear with an understanding hand on her shoulder.

------------------------------------

Finishing up the rest of the preparations for the band, i overhear Nino on the phone.

"Wassup dude?...Wow, what happened?...Whoa, that's real rough. Good luck dude, see you tomorrow!" he says before ending the call and sending a disappointed glance to Alya and Marinette.

I look towards Marinette only to see her walk off into the inner deck with conflicted feelings written all over her face.

"Time to go comfort my boo"

I quietly follow the pair of bestfriends into the captains wheel.

"Well it's not exactly the first time his dad's kept him from hanging out with us. Actually, I'd have been super surprised if he hadn't." comforts Alya as she pats Marinette on the back.

"Oh, let me guess. Adrien?" i speak up as i appear behind them.

The pair jump in surprise and both visibly grow more nervous.

Seeing as neither were eager to respond, i continued.

"You still stuck up on him?" i ask in genuine confusion.