Chapter 17

Riposte

"This fencing gear really does suit you, Y/N." compliments Marinette as she watches me try to find a fencing helmet my size.

"Really? Looks a little awkward to me" i chuckle before trying on another helmet.

Still didn't fit. I groan as i continue looking through the pile.

"Exactly! Awkward fits you." quips Marinette as she pretends to look for more helmets.

Her mischievous grin gives her away.

"WOW. This is the last time i'm inviting you anywhere." i scoff, pouting as i turn away from Mari.

She giggles softly before hugging me from behind. I try my best to ignore her as she attempts to face me.

"Remember how you're supposed to be supporting me so i can get into the most prestigious fencing academy of all of Paris!" I say accusingly.

But my nerves take over as i finish my sentence. Dread fills me as i think the situation over.

Finally turning to face Marinette, i lean back onto one of the tables with a heavy sigh.

"Why did i even let Nino talk me into this.." i whine pitifully.

Marinette, whose arms were loosely wrapped around me now tighten as she gives me an encouraging hug.

"You're going to ace those tryouts, i just know it. You've been reviewing the fencing rules all weekend, it's going to be great!" she smiles brightly as one of her hands travels up to squeeze my cheek like a dotting grandma would.

Then she leans in just a bit and whispers, "Besides, you'll get to annoy Adrien before AND after school if you get in.."

I gasp dramatically, "How'd you know that's my favorite hobby?!" i reply in a sarcastic tone.

I lean further onto the table as Marinette and i keel over laughing, the increased pressure causes the table to flip and send a bunch of helmets up into the air.

Thankfully, Marinette catches most of them before they could hit my head. Frozen in shock at what just transpired, neither of us moves until Marinette slowly puts one of the helmets she caught on my head.

A brief pause.

"Oh hey it fits!" i chirp.

--------------------------------------------------------------

I crouch down onto the floor, bored as hell with the most disappointed frown one can wear.

Marinette pats my shoulder in pity as we're forced to watch everyone get to tryout for fencing.

But me.

The teacher clears his throat beside me, "I apologize for the delay young lady, one of my students is running late. Would you rather go against me?" he looks down at me as he readies his sabre.

I side eye him as i promptly stand up and move behind Marinette, "Noo i can wait, thanks" i chuckle fearfully.

"No way am i getting humiliated that badly." i mumble to Marinette as i use her as a shield.

She elbows me in amusement.

Unfortunately, before i could call it quits and go home the last student finally arrives.

"If i knew we were waiting for you, i would've left 30 minutes ago." i giggle as i high five Adrien.

He rolls his eyes playfully as he high fives back, "Har har har" he replies back in a sarcastic tone.