Chapter fourteen

"That boy is so damn lucky to have you." Miranda, Rafael's mom said as she handed me a warm cup of water and two pills for Rafael's headache.

After yesterday's fiasco, I called his mom and gave her our location. An hour later, I was in the guest room scrubbing Rafael's puke off my body. Before I went to bed, I gave my mom a call and told her I'll be staying at Rafa's and that she shouldn't stay up and wait for me.

I simply smiled and took the warm water and pills from her.

"Tell him to hurry up sweetie. Lunch is almost ready." she called after me.

Rafael was seated at the edge of the bed his head buried on his hands. As soon as the door creaked open, he raised his head and looked at me. I was wearing one of his t-shirts and a short that belonged to Miranda since I couldn't find any of Rafael's pants that could fit me.

"What happened yesterday?" he groaned, taking the pills from me.

" I don't know, you tell me." I scoffed, placing the cup of water on his night stand.

"What's up with you?" he asked, standing up and intertwining our hands.

"I don't know. Maybe you should try jogging your memory." I tried my best to avoid his eyes. "Lunch is almost ready. Your mom wants you down in thirty minutes." I said, removing my hands from his.

"What? Lunch?" he asked.

" You slept through breakfast.” and with that, I left his bedroom before he had a chance to say anything.

Miranda was busy setting the tables while the maids brought food from the kitchen. I joined her and forty minutes later we were all seated at the dining table.

"Did your mom tell you she'll be working at our garden?" Mr. Castillo asked as he continued digging into his food.

"Yeah." I murmured.

"Nothing should worry you sweetheart. Miranda will be around and will help her out. She's in safe hands." he smiled.

I forced a smile and continued eating the food avoiding Rafael's gaze since he was sitted opposite me. I could feel his eyes on me the entire time but forced myself not to meet them.

If Rafael's parents noticed our weird silence, then they did their best to hide it. I mean, Miranda did ask what happened yesterday. I told her that he got really drunk and someone called me to come get him, skipping the Cassie's part.

What was he doing in Cassie's home in the first place? Okay, I get it, their small highschool reunion. But still, Cassie was on his goddamn lap, strandling him and he did nothing to stop it.

"You okay?" Rafael asked, his eyes reading concern. Seriously dude, stop acting us if nothing happened yesterday.

"Mmmmh."

                                       <>

After having lunch with them, I decided to head home. Miranda called an Uber for me considering I declined her offer of taking me home. I'm still angry at Rafael. It wasn't like he was making an effort of talking to me. As soon as lunch was over, he went to his room and didn't come out.

A few yards away from home. I noticed a yellow car in our driveway. No way.

Mom was busy trimming the flowers on our small garden as I got off the car. As soon as her eyes met mine, I noticed the confused look on her face.

"Hey mom." I said hugging her.

"Hey sweetheart. I'd like to ask you about your stay at Rafael's but this car is the only thing on my mind right now."