Chapter ten

The day was grey.

Just like me.

Why are jobs so hard to find this days?

I woke up early that morning, a determined smile on my face that this was just a passing trial and I'll get over it. I didn't want mà to get worried, so I didn't tell her that I had been fired from my old job.

Well, guess you don't always get what you want in life.

" I'm so sorry miss. But we aren't hiring any staff. Why don't you look over at the coffee shop down the street. I heard that they are looking for a replacement." Said the assistant manager at a certain coffee shop.

I smiled, but it really didn't reach my eyes and walked out. The coffee shop down the street already got a replacement a few minutes before I showed up. Better try my luck next time.

My stomach growled reminding me that I hadn't eaten anything since morning. It was now four o'clock in the evening. A simple snack will do.

Before I walked up to a mini mart that was just across the road, a small girl approached me and tugged my dress.

Her dress was torn with small patches of oil
and dirt. Her blonde hair was turning brown due to the dirt it had. However, with all those imperfections, she was so beautiful as she stared at me with her blue eyes.

" Hey. What's wrong?" I asked while squatting, so that she cannot strain while looking up at me.

" Can you spare me some change madam. My mum hasn't eaten anything for a couple of days." She pleaded, tears threatening to fall down her face.

" Hey, hey, hey. Don't cry. What about we do this, come with me and will buy some fruits and bread for both of you?" I said cupping her face.

She just nodded her head and I smiled sincerely before intertwining our hands and we walked inside the mart together.

I avoided the warning look from the cashier and paced towards the fruit section with the girl beside me.

ᕙ⁠(⁠ ⁠ ⁠•⁠ ⁠‿⁠ ⁠•⁠ ⁠ ⁠)⁠ᕗ

I got home rather earlier than usual. My mom was sitted in her favourite couch at the patio as I approached the house.

" You are home early." She said, pulling me in for a hug.

" We were given the rest of the day off," I lied, " So I thought of coming home so that I could spend it with my favourite person." A small smile glued to my face as I sat beside her.

" Mia is coming over in fifteen minutes. She said she'll be going through your wardrobe before you would have been dropped home later."

"What?"

" Why are you giving me that look? Should I be worried?"

" No..no...Rafael is taking me on our first date tonight." I smiled at the thought.

" Aaaaw. Am so proud of you my dear. For a moment I thought you were planning on becoming a nun." Mum grinned and pushed her chair closer to mine and hugged me.

" Just promise me you'll be happy dear. You deserve happiness and love sweetheart. Remember, don't let a man define you. You are the master of your own soul. Remember that. Okay?"

" Yeah momma. I'll always keep that in mind. Nakupenda."

I love you.

" Nakupenda pia mwanangu. Nakupenda sana." She replied.

I love you too my child. I love you so much.

ᕙ⁠(⁠⇀⁠‸⁠↼⁠‶⁠)⁠ᕗ

Mia dropped by fifteen minutes later with a dress code that both her and Rafael had chosen.