Chapter 10 | Promises

TODAY, Verena wouldn't hide in the shadows anymore. She wasn't going to hide at all. Everyone could see her, and she would smile as her father used to order her.

The sun shone, and the blue sky peered between the soft clouds; a sight she hadn't seen in a while. It was a slightly different shade than Atlas' eyes.

A dress with pantyhose waited for her on the bed. The garment was a deep azure tone, close to black, and had an elegant shape. She guessed it was beautiful, but still — "I'm not wearing that," Verena told the girl waiting for her to get dressed.

"Why not? It's a fine fabric from Skaentre and would accentuate your petite posture."

Verena blinked at the girl, who was obviously not from the Centre, but Verena couldn't tell where she was from.

"I don't really wear dresses." She hadn't worn one since Adrian's birthday party. Ruth asked her to dress nicely while they pretended nothing was happening in the city. To be fair, for a few months, nothing similar to the usual threats occurred.

"Well ... Fine." The girl opened the garment bag, taking out a pair of trousers and jacket in the same fabric as the dress and a nice light shirt. "Atlas had this as an alternative, but for your image, the dress would be better."

Verena didn't care for her image, yet a seed of doubt grew in her mind. But if Atlas chose another set of clothing for her, it should be fine ... right?

The bulb in the bathroom flickered, a problem occurring a few times as they were working out power issues. With her new clothes on, she stood on her toes, trying to see herself in the mirror. The fit was alright, but a bit loose on her 'petite' posture.

"I also brought make-up," the girl said with a sweet voice.

Verena squirmed her nose. "No, thank you."

"Are you sure—" The girl paused when Verena threw open the door. "—it could hide your freckles nicely, make your eyes pop more, and give some colour to your face."

A deep breath pushed past Verena's lips, her nostrils flaring. Before she could react to the girl, Atlas came in. People from Euronea needed to learn how to knock.

"Verena—" the girl said, holding up a make-up bag.

"Is apparently not wearing heels," Atlas said flatly as he glanced her up and down.

"Because Verena can't walk in heels," Verena said as Atlas still took her in like a general inspecting a soldier. If he was disappointed, shame on him. This was all he got, so he better take it or leave.

"Verena—" the girl tried again.

"Looks fine, so let's go," Atlas said, done examining her.

"Fine? What a charmer." The girl's eyes widened at Verena's words. Perhaps it wasn't the wisest thing to say while they weren't on the best terms, but Verena loathed the cold Atlas gave. And she didn't intend him to know yesterday shook her up. Keep your friends close, but your enemies closer, she thought.

He locked onto her gaze, and his lips perked up into a smile. "Miss Maldyson." He smirked. "You had your chance. I'm your superior now ... unless you want to reconsider the marriage proposal?"

The girl's eyes popped, and it wasn't because of the make-up.

Verena didn't like that Atlas saw himself as her boss, but it was better than him thinking she was his prisoner. "I think I'm good."

She raked the cleaned brush through her hair as she glanced at her bag. It contained her mom's broken necklace, and she was tempted to bring it with her, but she was unsure if she could grab it without Atlas noticing.