Chapter 6 | Sky-Blue Eyes

THE water cascaded over her skin in a blanket of heaven. Verena still couldn't believe the shower worked. Not just tepid water, which became icy-cold too soon, but a steady, warm stream. It was the heat she desperately needed. Her muscles relaxed enough to make her sigh in contempt.

She slept in today; nevertheless, exhaustion lingered in her body. When packing everything into boxes and talking things over with Atlas, the night ran long. Not a dull moment in Berulex.

When her skin turned red and hot, she switched off the shower and dried herself. Her own clothes lay ready for her. A simple pair of black trousers, a green long-sleeve shirt, high socks, and brown boots.

She glanced once more at her reflection in the mirror, giving up on her hair, and stepped out of the bathroom. A shadow caught her attention. Her heart leapt in her throat as she gasped. "Seriously!" Anger radiated from her towards the grinning, unwanted visitor.

"Took you long enough." Atlas stood up from the desk chair as his eyes scanned her body. "Is that what you're going to wear?" He stopped in front of her.

This close, every little detail on his sculpted face was visible. His eyes seemed brighter, his lips peachy. There was a subtle bruise on his jaw, and a small scar ran across his nose. A slight smile adorned Verena's face at the imperfection she found in his squeaky-clean appearance.

"What do you mean?" Verena asked. These were the best pair of clothing in the bag.

"There's a hole," Atlas said. He took the piece of fabric at the rim of her shirt, his finger brushing her naked skin, and showed her the gap.

She pulled her clothes from his hands. "Why are you here?" Verena crossed her arms and stopped herself from stamping her feet.

"To save the city." The dimples formed in his cheeks again. She opened her mouth to tell him that's not what she meant, but he held up his hand. "I know. I was waiting for you so I could introduce you to the council members."

"You've found more?" Verena lifted an eyebrow and cursed herself for giving herself away. With how quick Atlas moved, this wasn't the first city assigned as an Architect.

He opened the door for her. "You thought you were going to be the only one? If so, we should marry. I'm only opting for one wife." An annoying glister sparkled in his eyes.

"What is it with you and marrying me?"

"What can I say? My mum thinks I'm getting old."

She furrowed her brows as they walked through the hallway. "You're not that old?" Was he?

He put his hand on his heart. "How kind." The dimples reappeared once more, and Verena narrowed her eyes at him. "Twenty-nine," Atlas answered when she wasn't entertaining him. She made a face, and before she opened her mouth, he added, "Not what you expected?"

She shrugged her shoulders. "I thought you were younger."

"Ouch." He acted hurt. "But I'm glad I'm on your mind."

She bit the inside of her cheek. He was probably pushing her buttons to test her, and she wouldn't give him a reaction. Instead, they walked two staircases down in silence. Atlas grabbed her arm, her heart leaping into her throat. Wide-eyed, she looked at him.

He promptly held up his hands with pity on his face. "Sorry. We have to go this way." He pointed in the other direction.

She didn't need his apology nor his insincere compassion. Shaking it off, she walked further. "Did you arrange my terms?" Verena said, acting as if nothing happened. Still, her eyes darted around.