Chapter 1

June 16, 2023, Afternoon.

It was raining cats and dogs. The temperature was low, and the breeze was chilling. In the parking of the Hope Higher Secondary School in City D, the students along with their parents who came to take admission for plus one (11th) was leaving quickly.

Soon only the vehicles of the teachers were left behind. The heavy rain was still persistent. The ground behind the HSE building was covered in muddy water, the trees in compound was swaying in the strong wind.

At this time, a girl and her father came out of the office after finishing her admission procedures. She was wearing a white and blue skirt with white pants. Her long black hair was tied into a ponytail. She was not a beauty, an average appearance with plumpy natural lips and almond eyes and thick lashes. She was trembling slightly as the cold wind blowed against her.

"Kanna, shall we go now?" Prakash asked his daughter after she put on her raincoat.

"Yeah." She smiled lightly. Her dad still calls her Kanna* even though she has a beautiful name - Deepa Lakshmi.

Prakash opened the umbrella he placed at a side and stepped into the rain.

"Walk slowly, Kanna. Wait for me at the entrance, I will come to pick you after getting the scooter, Okay?" Deepa nodded and he walked towards the parking.

The fresh aroma of nature surrounded her along with coolness. She looked up at the rain and sighed. The feeling of not being able to be drenched in this rain is a little heavy. Although she loves to do it, she certainly can't afford her mom's lecturing after that.

"Next time...maybe..." She smiled, it's just that she don't know when will that 'next time' arrives.

She turned aside and walked towards the entrance. There was a path leading to the entrance and she don't have to walk in the rain. She looked around with curiosity. In the entire way, she was the only person there. It was also because of this, she is greatly relaxed.

Just as she was about to exit from the main building, her eyes suddenly spotted a shadow standing before the storeroom which was certain distance away from her.

She was facing his back, but that was enough to arouse her curiosity. He has broad shoulders and a  well proportional body. He was wearing a light blue shirt and black pants, obviously well-ironed. His hair was combed back neatly. He has more white hairs than black.

"Is he teacher?... No way.." She quickly shook of that thought. She has seen countless male teachers in her ten years in school. There is no way that the aged teachers of Kerala will looks like professors in Collages. Even the young teachers who look elite is still rare, then how can he be a teacher here in this town? (A typical Kerala male teacher appearance. But now it is changing as the trends are developing.)

"Most probably someone's parent..." She thought and quickly walked towards the entrance.
This moment she just take these thoughts as just a casual wondering, and gradually forgot that she saw an 'old parent' today.

Covering her head with the raincoat cap, she stepped into the muddy courtyard and left the compound with her father.

---------------------------------------

Before the School Storeroom.

As soon as Deepa left, the man she was curious about turned and looked at the place she stood. His eyes behind the gold rimmed glasses was slightly suspicious. Did he get it wrong? He felt someone was staring at him just now...

"Anil sir?" Subhash Sir called out.

"Ha..." Anil turned around and saw Subhash looking at him weirdly.

"What's wrong? You were absent minded. I called you several times now." Subhash gave him a stack of books and he carried another stack himself.

"Nothing." Anil smiled slightly and walked towards the staffroom with him.

To be continued......

*Kanna - A nick name parents usually call their children. It's the nickname of Lord Sree Krishna. It means mischievous/clever/precious/ child.