chapter 9

you find yourself at school, spotting your roommates clustered in front of a colorful bulletin board adorned with vibrant posters. intrigued, you approach them to see what's caught their attention.

"what's going on?" you inquire, glancing at the posters with curiosity.

natsu turns to you with a grin. "hey y/n, check it out! they put up the sign-ups for all the sports teams," he announces enthusiastically. "me, gray, and jellal play basketball."

jellal nods in agreement. "yeah, and guess what? we actually won the championship last year," he adds with a hint of pride in his voice.

natsu elbows you gently. "hey, you should totally sign up for the cheer squad," he suggests with a grin.

jellal nods in agreement. "yeah, it could be fun! and it's a great way to support the team," he adds.

gray chuckles, offering his encouragement as well. "come on, y/n, don't be shy. you'd make a great cheerleader," he says with a smirk.

you laugh at their enthusiasm, but shake your head. "thanks for the vote of confidence, but shaking pom-poms isn't exactly my style." you reply, though their encouragement does bring a smile to your face.

"alright, guys, i'll see you in class," you say, heading off towards homeroom.

little do you know, as soon as you're out of earshot, your mischievous roommates exchange knowing glances. without missing a beat, they conspire together, reaching a silent agreement. gray grins mischievously. "well, if she won't sign up herself, i guess we'll just have to do it for her," he says, a playful gleam in his eyes.

jellal nods in agreement, a smirk playing on his lips. "yeah, she'll thank us later," he adds, already envisioning the hilarity of the situation.

natsu laughs, his excitement palpable. "let's do it! we're signing y/n up for cheerleading!" he declares, the thrill of their secret plan adding an extra spring to his step as they all head off to their respective class.

as mr. clive begins his lesson, it quickly becomes apparent that he's not entirely informed about the topic at hand. his explanations are vague and disjointed, leaving the students feeling more confused than enlightened.

amidst the chaos of the poorly conducted lesson, lucy leans over to you, her voice barely above a whisper. "are you excited about the cheer team tryouts?" she asks in a hushed tone, her voice brimming with anticipation.

you furrow your brow in confusion, shaking your head slightly. "no, i didn't sign up for that?" you quietly laugh and whisper back, equally puzzled by lucy's question.

lucy's eyes widen in surprise, her expression turning into one of disbelief. "b-but i saw your name on the sign-up sheet outside the gym," she whispers back, her voice tinged with incredulity.

your confusion only deepens at lucy's revelation. if your name is on the sign-up sheet without your knowledge, it could only mean one thing: your roommates had signed you up for cheerleading tryouts behind your back.

during the midday break, you stride over to the vending machine, your frustration simmering beneath the surface. as you approach natsu, gray, and jellal, you can't help but feel a surge of irritation at their nonchalant expressions.

"hey, guys," you begin, your voice tinged with annoyance. "we need to talk."

natsu glances up, his expression puzzled. "what's up?" he asks, oblivious to the storm brewing in your demeanor.

you shoot him a pointed look, your patience wearing thin. "i found out you dicks signed me up for cheerleading tryouts without my permission," you state, your voice firm.

gray shrugs, a noncommittal expression on his face. "yeah, so what?" he replies, his tone casual.

jellal nods in agreement, his stance defensive. "we just thought it would be a fun surprise," he adds, trying to diffuse the tension.

you feel your frustration mounting as their words sink in. "a fun surprise?" you repeat incredulously. "i appreciate the thought, but you should have asked me first. it's not cool to sign me up for something without my say so."

natsu rolls his eyes, clearly unrepentant. "come on, lighten up, y/n," he says, waving off your concerns.

gray nods in agreement. "yeah, it's not a big deal. just give it a shot. you might actually enjoy it," he suggests, his tone dismissive.

you grit your teeth, trying to rein in your temper. "it's not about whether i'll enjoy it or not," you retort, your frustration mounting. "it's about respecting my decisions and boundaries."

the three boys exchange exasperated glances, clearly annoyed by your insistence. "fine, whatever," natsu mutters, waving you off as he turns back to the vending machine.

with a frustrated sigh, you snatch snacks from gray, jellal, and natsu before marching off in frustration. "i'll see you in class," you mutter, your irritation lingering as you try to push past the encounter.

as the school day comes to an end, lucy approaches you with a curious expression. "hey, are you still going to the cheer tryouts?" she asks, having learned about your roommates signing you up behind your back.

you sigh and shake your head, a mix of frustration and reluctance evident on your face. "no, i don't think so. it's not really my thing," you reply, feeling apprehensive about the idea.

but lucy, ever the optimist and supporter of new experiences, gives you an encouraging smile. "come on, y/n. you might surprise yourself! plus, it'll be fun, and i'll be there with you," she insists, trying to persuade you to give it a shot.

her words tug at your curiosity and sense of adventure, making you reconsider your initial decision. "well, maybe i'll give it a try," you concede, a hint of excitement creeping into your voice.