Chapter 13

FLASHBACK

The orange hue of the setting sun, mixed with the serenity of the sky coloring it in its colors of brightness as the pink sky resembled a blushing person, gazing upon the earth with an adoration only a lover could. Wanda gazed at it with longing, a shuttering breath left her chapped lips.

The overwhelming feelings in her heart were crushing her mind with a headache she couldn't get rid of. She sat by the lakeside, looking at the sky waiting, wishing that someone from her universe would come for her one day and she would also go home.

Living in a universe that wasn't hers was never a problem, she liked this world and the people in it but new memories can never overshadow the old ones. Shiny things cannot overtake the things you made with your own hands, dirty, wounded, bandaged, sweaty, beautiful but it was her's.

However, doubts seeped inside her brain, who would even come for her? Her family is dead and the Avengers are at war against each other.

"Wanda". His voice made her snap out of it as she looked at him over her shoulder. He stood there, with his hands in his pocket assessing her.

"Gojo". She whispered and somehow that mere whisper was enough for Gojo to know that something was wrong.

"Looking at the sunset?". He asked, before settling beside her on the cold step.

Wanda laughed humorlessly, "No".

She could feel his gaze on her as she refused to look back at him, "Are you here to look at the sunset?".

Gojo gave one of his rare smiles, "No". Somehow that made her smile genuinely, as she rested her head on her knees while staring at him.

"So what are you here for?". Both of them knew the answer but pretended like they did not. He just stared at her for the longest moment with a bit of sadness she couldn't decipher, it almost felt like he wasn't staring at her at all but a ghost from his past.

"Gojo". She called softly.

His eyes filled back to her, recognition settling back in, "You, I am here for you".

Something shuddered in her heart at his words as she hid her face in her arms trying to act nonchalant, "Is it so?".

"What's bothering you?".

"What bothers everyone, life". Wanda shrugged, not wanting to reveal her insecurities and longing to anyone.

Gojo nodded slowly, getting the message that she didn't want to discuss what was bothering her, so he didn't ask. He sat there silently with her, gazing at the horizon over the setting sun.

Wanda was surprised and grateful at his understanding silence, she never expected that Gojo would be so mature at times even though he has proven time and time again yet it was hard for her to register it. At that moment, pondering over Gojo's behavior, it suddenly clicked to Wanda that it was a facade to hide what truly resides in him.

Wanda runs from the world, she keeps people at arm's length meanwhile Gojo embraces the world, he keeps the world so close to him that nobody ever sees right through him. Nobody tries to, they see Gojo laughing, joking, nonchalant, and of course the strongest that people never wonder what more could he long for even.

They were so opposite yet so similar that it reeled her mind at the possibilities.

So she sat there in silence with him, giving some company to the lonely boy no one saw, and never will. He hides behind his power and smiles to ever be truly noticed like a human.