chapter forty-five

hi

_______________________________

Chapter 45

Henrik Mikaelson wanted to launch himself off the third floor of New Orleans Academy. His literature teacher, Mr. Hammond, rambled on and on and pressed every student in the class for answers about the poem they were reading. What did the snow represent? Or what did the author intend when setting the story at the beginning of winter? 

When Henrik replied, "Precipitation and seasons changing," both of his answers were deemed incorrect. He glanced at his friend across the classroom and, when he saw him drawing Marvel characters, he knew he wasn't the only one that was seconds away from life-threatening boredom.

However, for the first time during the class period, something remarkable happened.

Mr. Hammond had stopped talking.

 "Come in," He yelled, putting down his black dry-erase marker.

When the door opened, it revealed two people. A girl with her hair tied back and a jacket tied on her waist and the principal, Mr. Andrews. "Hammond," He called out. "I would like to introduce you to Miss Isabel Collins. She is rejoining our student body today and has tested into your AP Literature class."

Smiling, most likely, at the possibility of a new student to harass with questions, the Literature teacher beckoned her forward. "Please, Miss Collins, come on in. Would you prefer a seat at the back or the front?"

Behind Henrik, he heard multiple people begin to mumble.

"Don't put her around me," Someone whispered.

Taken back, Henrik turned around fast wondering why someone would say something like that.

"Or me," He heard another one of his classmates agree. "I have football practice. I don't have time for her to put me in the hospital."

At that, a couple of kids snickered, grabbing the attention of Isabel and both adults in the room. Watching the girl, Isabel tightened her drawstrings on her hoodie. "Any seat is fine. I don't mind."

"Feel free to take the empty seat by Henrik," Mr. Hammond called out. "Mr. Mikaelson? Could you raise your hand?"

Moving his backpack out of the aisle, Henrik raised his hand, all while hearing students groan and snicker behind him. Sliding between the two rows quite easily, Isabel put her backpack on the floor and put her head down on the desk.

Watching as she sat beside him, Henrik took note of her piercings. She had one on her left eyebrow, another on her nose, and three in her ears. Her hair was long and silky and was pulled back into a high ponytail. All around, she was quite a beautiful girl.

"Back to the poem, students. Who wants to analyze stanza four?"

.

..

...

At the end of the class, the bell rang loudly, signaling all of the students to pack up and move on to their next period. Luckily for Henrik, the next period was lunch. Throwing his backpack on his shoulder, he headed out the door.

It wasn't until he felt a pull on his back did he pause.

"What's up, dude?" He heard someone say behind him.

"Steven," Henrik filled in. "Nothing much. I'm just hoping they have something good in the cafeteria today."

"Mm," Steven replied. "I saw how you were lookin' at that chick. Izzy?"