chapter twelve

𝐜𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝐭𝐰𝐞𝐥𝐯𝐞

Henrik Mikaelson sat on his bed, facing the wall as he tried to force himself to look past all that had just happened. One second, he and his family were fine, planning a trip to their hometown. The next, someone he deemed a friend tried to murder his brother. He got up, tossing himself on his bed. This wasn't helping.

None of this was helping.

While he knew he made a good decision, the decision to protect his brother, he questioned if it was the best decision. His friendship with Bonnie gave him a feeling of hope, however small, and now it was out the window. While he had his family, he, once again, didn't have any friends.

A knock at the door paused his dramatic thinking. He could tell who it was. Rebekah normally knocked as she entered, while Elijah knocked and then came in, regardless of whether Henrik said to come in or not. But Klaus, he always waited until he answered. "Come on in, Nik."

Opening the door revealed just the brother he thought it was. "You left the room quite upset. I wanted to check on you, brother."

Henrik flipped around, pushing the books from his bed to make room for his brother. "I don't understand. Bonnie... She knows me. Why would she do that?"

Klaus hesitated. His mind warned him that if he revealed to his little brother his misdeeds that inspired distrust in the Bennett witch, his brother might not ever forgive him. "It wasn't you, Henrik. It was me... our family that she wanted to attack."

"But why..."

The hybrid looked down and just decided to blurt it out so that he wouldn't talk himself out of it. "I tried to kill her."

"Nik... what?"

"I tried to–"

Henrik raised his hand, preventing his brother from repeating that God-awful sentence. "I heard you the first time." His mind raced back to the first time they met each other. Her running for her life, shaken and scared. "Please tell me you didn't kill her," He whispered. He could handle all of the other things Elijah had admitted they had done, but if his own brother was Bonnie's murderer, he didn't know how quickly he could forgive him.

"Henrik–"

"Tell me you didn't kill her, Niklaus," Henrik repeated, not allowing his brother to ease his way out of answering. "Swear it to me," He pushed, staring into his brother's tear-filled eyes.

Klaus moved closer to his brother. "I swear to you, Henrik, I am not in any way responsible for the death of Bonnie Bennett."

Henrik nodded slowly. "If you tried to kill her, why would she attack Kol? What hostility would she have with him?"

"Our family, Henrik, is capable of doing some pretty bad things. I've told you that–"

"Stop doing that. Stop trying to dodge the question. Did Kol kill her?"

"No," Klaus answered quickly. "Neither Kol nor Finn were alive at the time we discovered Bonnie's death."

Instantly, Klaus regretted trying to defend his brothers.

Henrik gasped. "What?"

Wanting to kick himself now, he made himself explain. He knew that Elijah would want his head for indulging their little brother in all of the... events that have happened since his death, but it was time. The questions he was asking would not just disappear.

Klaus pushed himself back on the bed as he spilled everything that had happened that he deemed important.

He confessed the murders of both Finn and Kol, his rise as a hybrid, his family's new vow to remain together, the rise of Silas, and even their family's declaration of war on Salvatores and the Gilberts.