chapter twenty-two

Chapter Twenty-Two: Please stick around to the end! Important Message
Editor Message here: I spelt Bonnie's ancestor, Ayana, name wrong almost every single time I tried to spell it. 

Mina Bennett pulled up slowly to the Bennett Mansion. While she temporarily resided in New Orleans for the sake of Bonnie, she realized that she never packed for a long-term stay. She tucked her keys in her back pocket before heading into the house, using magic to unlock it.

Her wedges clicked against the hardwood flooring as she walked into her room. However, before she could, a step behind her made her magic react.

"Attacking your own aunt, Mina? That's the third offense."

Mina held her heart, the organ beating faster than she knew it could. "Good, Lord. Aunt Eleanor, what are you doing here? You scared the shit outta me."

"Language, girl," The older woman snapped. Turning on her heels, she walked to the formal dining room. She took a seat at the head of the table, wondering why the hell this house was so dirty. "And I wouldn't be back if you did what your grandmother and I instructed. To keep Bonnie safe and out of harm's way until we returned."

Mina followed, rolling her eyes behind her aunt's voice. "Auntie–"

"I tasked you with it because I thought you cared as much as I did about the survival of our people."

"Auntie–"

Eleanor continued, taking a sip of the tea Mina never saw her get. "Obviously, you don't, so it seems I need to call in reinforcements."

"Wait, what? You're not letting me get a word in."

Eleanor sat down her tea, staring into her niece's eyes. "Why should I?"

"Because I don't even know what this third "offense" was!" Mina countered. "Hell, what were the first two?"

Anger surged through her as her hands banged on the table. "Let me tell you to watch your mouth again, Mina Alise. And you support my very accusations. Did you know that Bonnie was attacked by the doppelganger?"

Shit

Unable to help it, the only thing Mina could think about is who the fuck told her. "I handled that."

"Or did you? Because our people talk, Bonnie. Our ancestors talk, and apparently, the doppelganger still lives."

Damn it.

"So?" Mina started, trying to think of a lie. "Just because I didn't kill the damn girl doesn't mean that I didn't handle it."

"She is an enemy of this family, Mina, and we've survived this long because we END our enemies. Your mother had the same ideals."

Mina's eyes darkened. "Don't talk about my mom. You're mad at me, fine, but don't say anything about my mother. And even if this is the first offense, what's the second?"

"I'm glad you asked." Smiling, Eleanor nodded to herself. From the bag near her feet, she pulled out a folder, sliding it to where her niece was sitting. "Go on, open it up."

Mina gulped as she opened the folder, already knowing what it would reveal. From many different angles, photos of Bonnie and Klaus looked back up at her. There was one when she was walking into the dance, her arm interconnected with his, another when they were dancing, another when he dipped her, and the list went on.

"Apparently, Bonnie has introduced herself to the people of New Orleans as that abomination's girlfriend."

Mina scoffed. "Okay, being mad at this," She pointed at the pictures, ".. is fair, but saying that Bonnie is Klaus's girlfriend is a stretch."