chapter ten

chapter ten.

Rebekah Mikaelson stood proudly in front of the clothing rack, swiping clothes out of her way that she deemed ugly or unfit for her to wear. She groaned as she heard the small device in her pocket beep for the fourth time in the last two minutes, but she ignored it. She even contemplated throwing it onto the ground, watching happily as it shattered. Her bother was only Elijah, trying to demand she returns to the mansion at once, raving on about the potential danger she was in.

She knew he was panicking about that Bennet wench being back, but there was nothing more to worry about. Even if she was back, the chance they would be the first thing on her mind was ludicrous. So, she pushed Elijah and his paranoid thoughts out of her head, determined to spend today only thinking about herself. She had been worried about her brothers for weeks now.

Plus, today was an important day. Not only that, but she deserved a carefully put-together self-care shopping trip. She hadn't had a wardrobe makeover in months. As she glanced down at the rest of the rack, she frowned. There was nothing that stood out to her. Why have a clothing shop if there's nothing offered but shiny washing rags?

While she had picked up anywhere from fifty to sixty-five dresses, none of them was something she could actually wear to the first full Mikaelson family dinner. It's been centuries since they all sat down at a table and shared a meal together.

Eyeing a particular dress, she pulled it from the hanger slowly, not wanting to rip or damage it in any way. It was already wrinkled beyond belief. Despite that, she still held it up to her in front of the mirror. It was slightly above her knees with blue rhinestones along the edges. She almost gagged. This dress was horrible. Shoving it back into the pile of clothes, she couldn't help but pay attention to the talk of the two women that were behind her who were picking up the ugliest blouses this world had ever seen.

"Right across the street, they are. It's a child... looks like he's risen from the dead or something."

Rebekah froze in her place.

Rebekah paused in her steps. There were only a few unwritten rules of vampirism, and one of those was that you didn't turn a child.

The blonde one nodded next, scanning through the section Rebekah had just come from. "Authorities are near, Rhonda," The woman started. "I'm sure they'll catch the abomination. This isn't the first weird thing to happen in this damned city."

"More like a haunted city," Rhonda scoffed.

Rebekah tossed the three dresses on her hands over the rack and made her way out of the store, nodding in the direction of the cashier. She would have to come back for those items. Only she knew how scared a newly turned vampire would be. Second that if it was a child.

When she was out of eyesight from all of the lurking humans, she sped over to the cemetery across the street that was, as they said, crowded with people, police, and plenty of paramedics. But as she blended in with the nosy humans, she couldn't see anything. Nothing was there.

"Look, he's there!"

Rebekah's eyes scanned the area until she saw a boy. Speeding from out of the crowd of people appeared in front of him. Shielding him from the eyes of the herd. Latching onto his shoulder, she sped them both as far as she could until she stopped.

Finally, she looked down at the black-haired child and immediately took a step back. She tried to blink away what she thought was the ghost of her little brother, but when she opened her eyes and realized that this was real... she gasped. "I–"