chapter four

_______________________________

Chapter Four

"NIK, LOOK!" Rebekah grinned, trying to get her brother's attention. "I found another one." Her hand dug into the damp sand and pulled out a seashell, one bigger than the palm of her hand. She had been collecting them from the time they arrived. Her jar was nearly full and they had only been there a little over half an hour. When she realized that her brother wasn't looking at her, she sped in front of him jokingly. "Why the long face?"

Klaus didn't reply. He just turned around to face the ocean, not even bothering to move his little sister out of his way. The ocean water seemed to continue on for miles and miles without end, but never actually went anywhere at all. The sound of the water crashing against the shoreline was both calming and nerve-wracking. It reminded him of when he was a boy, trying to cry out for help. When his screaming would be loud but too soft to be heard

Rebekah let him lose himself in his thoughts for a second seeing that he needed it. "Is it the memories of us as children, innocent and pure, replying in your head, or is it Kol that plagues your mind. Or even Marcellus."

Klaus tensed at the last name his sister so quickly spoke of. It had been centuries since he had spoken or heard his name. "Leave Marcellus out of this, Rebekah."

"Why? Because the memory of someone you looked at as a son is burned in your mind as a tragedy you caused? Or is it because you aren't ready to admit that you loved him and he's gone."

Klaus seemed to move faster than light. One second he was looking at the waves flowing, the next he had Rebekah pinned to the nearest chair, a hand around her throat, daring her to say something else. "Leave my son out of this."

Rebekah's hand softly grabbed his as she remained pinned to the wooden chair. "Admit it, Nik. Y-You, don't grieve. You j-just kill." Her breath was starting to shorten but she stayed persistent. "Just like Kol. You won't admit that you loved him. T-That you miss him."

Rebekah closed her eyes, forcefully pulling her brother into her mind.

"Poppa, Uncle Elijah, look!" Marcellus cried out. He was sitting at the dining room table, his math, which only his uncle cared about, pushed over in the corner. His father had tried to give him something to play with so he wouldn't die of boredom. It was soft but kinda rough and a weird-looking color that he never knew even existed. He had forgotten what his father had called it, but he had poured it all over the table and began to write his name in it. It had taken him a long time to spell his name correctly, so now, whenever he did, he wanted everyone to know.

"Yes, Marcellus, have you-" Elijah stopped in his tracks when he discovered that instead of his nephew's math being impressive, he had written his name, Marcellus Mikaelson, in sand. "Marcellus, where did you acquire sand?"

"Poppa..." Marcellus replied, his excitement dwindling by the second. His uncle didn't look too pleased, but he was half expecting his poppa to come first. That way he could be praised before he was forced back to his studies.

Klaus and Rebekah came in together hearing Marcellus's excited plea. Knowing where this was going, Niklaus spoke up. "Yes, I did, Elijah. Is there a problem?"

Elijah looked at his brother, then the sand on the table, then back at his little brother. He thought it was obvious that there was a problem but if he had to voice his concerns then he would. "Yes, Niklaus, there is a problem. We are supposed to be supporting Marcellus in his studies, not actively trying to distract him from such.

"Sand, Elijah?" Niklaus repeated. He was trying to avoid an argument between himself and his brother in front of his child, but his logic was lacking sense. "Do you think sand, something I allowed my son to have, is distracting? If he allows sand to distract him then I don't think there was much competition."

Before Elijah could continue to argue his point, Rebekah stood in ready to defend her nephew. "Elijah, come on, now. Marcellus, go outside and ride Norman."

"Poppa, I-"

"Marcellus, go," Klaus stopped the boy. However, seeing such a long face on his son, he kissed his forehead before he walked out. Times like this, when the family argued, the boy would doubt the love his family had for him, so, as always, the hybrid reassured him."I love you, Marcellus. Always and Forever."

Those words, those God-forsaken words, repeating through his mind caused a force harder than anything he had ever felt. Rebekah dropped to the ground, gasping and clutching at her throat. It didn't take her long to recover, but her oncoming attitude quickly calmed when she took a look at her brother. He was trying to persuade himself that the memory that was shown to him didn't mean anything to him, but she could tell that, even through his tough facade, he was failing.

"Go to New Orleans, Nik. Without Elijah and I. Go to the city that both Kol and Marcel were happy in. She picked up her jar of seashells that had dropped into the sand, but still remained in the jar, and began to walk off the beach. Her brother needed some time alone, and the only way he was going to get that is if she left him to think.

Mystic Grill, Mystic Falls

"Welcome to Mystic Grill, I'm Matt, and I'll be your server. Can I start you off with something to drink?"

Mina sat in one of the booths with a menu in her hand scanning the alcohol section. Today was her day to figure out what the hell happened to Bonnie, and she knew that she would have to be either drunk, high, or both to do it. "Can I get a glass of Chardonnay?"

Her server laughed. "You look a little young. I'm going to have to see some ID."

Mina groaned. "Come on. Matt was it?"

Matt turned around and glanced around for his boss. He knew from past experiences that his friends drunk stuff way worse than wine underage. Not seeing the man that would fire him for selling alcohol illegally, he nodded. "And to eat?"

"Just some fries, please."

Matt nodded, told her he'd have her food and drink out in a second and walked away. She sighed and tapped her fingers against her table. This "what happened to Bonnie game" would be a lot harder than she had thought it would be. Hell, she didn't have anywhere to start.

Maybe the universe was listening to her thoughts because just as she said that, the infamous Salvatores strutted in the door with Katherine's doppelganger. Mina put her head in her should and let out a deep chuckle. Damn, are all doppelgangers fucking the Salvatores?

She looked down and pretended to play on her phone. She was a Bennett witch, and the last thing she needed was one of them recognizing who she was.

"I don't even understand," Katherine's doppelgänger started, sliding into the side beside Damon. Mina suppressed a laugh. They always chose Damon, don't they? "Leaving us to fight Silas on our own is wrong. I never thought Bonnie could be so selfish."

"She's a Bennett," Damon began. "They always chose themselves in the end."

"Bitch-" The witch blurted out. Before she could draw attention to herself, she picked up her phone and held it to her ear. She blurted out some random words to make it sound like she was on the phone.

Luckily for her, the trio never turned around. After dramatically hanging up to continue her pretend phone call, she scrolled mindlessly on Instagram. She wouldn't have anything to seek revenge on her cousin if she outed herself.

However, that phrase alone 'they always chose themselves in the end' made her want to murder someone.

As her mind remained on what Damon Salvatore had just said, a smirk appeared on her face. She grabbed her phone, threw a twenty on the table, and walked out. After she was finished dialing a number, she prayed the person answered. Once she did, Mina hummed.

"Elyza, wanna have some fun with a certain Salvatore?"

_______________________________

hi, everyone! thanks for reading

what did y'all like most about it? let me know here