⚁ The Nightmare ⚁

Kylie woke up with a start, and sat up.

"No," she gasped, then stopped herself. Cole was asleep right next to her. Dang it, she thought, hoping she didn't wake him up. No movement, so she was fine.

No light came through the curtains; it wasn't morning yet.

Her thoughts returned to her dream- or nightmare, rather.

She stifled a sob, then turned and grabbed a pillow behind her and cried into it.

"...Kylie?"

"Huh-" she whipped around and Cole was looking at her, concerned.

"What's wrong?" He was now sitting up.

"Just a bad dream," she forced a smile.

"Well it wasn't just a bad dream, you're crying," he said, arms extended to her.

"It's nothing," she shook her head.

"It's okay, you don't have to tell me. But I'm open ears."

"I'll probably tell you later," she said, leaning closer to him.

"Okay." He held her.

They both tried to fall back asleep, but sleep didn't come.

Kylie shed a few silent tears.

Finally a new morning dawned, and they got up and Kylie returned to her room and got cleaned up and dressed. Nya was still sleeping, so Kylie went downstairs, where she found Zane cooking breakfast.

Her old apartment.

Nya was there with her, so were the others. They were having dinner and her mom was serving them.

"Good morning, Kylie," Zane said as he noticed her come in.

"Morning," she chirped.

"How did you sleep?"

"Not great," she admitted, sitting down at the kitchen table.

"That is understandable. Any particular reason you would like to share?"

"Um, not really. But thanks." She analyzed his build; remarkable, perfectly human-like, except metal.

"Of course." He nonchalantly flipped a pancake. "I have not gotten to know you yet. How do you like it here?"

"I love it here, a lot," she replied. "I'm really glad I met you guys."

"Good. I am glad." He turned and gave her a quick smile. "When did you come here and how did you meet us?"

They were laughing and Kylie was about to have a bite of some cake but they started shouting that there was an earthquake, and she saw out the window that the earthquake was coming.

"I... my mom... she was killed in the battle when- with the Overlord. When you..."

"I know what you mean."

"Yeah. I met Wu at, uh, a funeral. And I came and lived here, and it was really hard for me, for everyone, and everyone split up and left for... a long time."

"Why? Who left?"

The ground shook and the floor broke open. There was black dark water underneath, and she was sliding into it.

"Jay and Cole and Kai left, to do their own thing I guess. They kind of wanted to get away. Me, Nya, and Lloyd stayed and trained." He just nodded, so she continued. "Finally Lloyd went to bring them all home, and that was wonderful, but Chen invited them to the tournament literally that evening and they were gone in the morning. Nya had to track them down. I just tagged along."