Chapter 14

May 10,2024 1:40am

           Finally, my relief was immeasurable at the sight of the familiar glass door ahead of me. Tonight was my last shot at finding the way back to the cell before that mysterious event tomorrow- or else we would have to delay our escape. 

Making my way over to the door, I got a view of Caleb waiting for me in his usual spot.

I knocked on the door, gaining his attention, a big smile spread across his face as he watched me excitedly waving at him.

Coming back to my senses I decided it best to actually test out the keycard on this door. I swiped it through the reader, my mouth dropped open as it clicked and slid open. 

"You did it!" Caleb whisper-yelled, appearing in front of me in the doorway.

Not even a second later his arms were wrapped around my waist in a big hug which lifted my feet from the floor.

A pathetic sounding yelp left my mouth at the sudden action-wrapping my own arms loosely around his neck as he spun us around.

He then shushed me through his smile, setting me down.

Where did that come from?" keeping my voice at a whisper that time, I glanced behind myself.

"I don't know....just glad everything worked out" he shrugged turning serious again "this time you don't have to come back in here through the vent."

"Actually, I'm going to go back that way so I can memorize the route back from here" the last thing I wanted was to forget which way to turn.

"Alright" he nodded.

closing the door again I turned and carefully sped back to the roof making sure to leave a thin scratch on each turn. This place was like a maze. I wonder if that was intentional.

Probably.

Climbing into the vent making sure to army crawl backwards, I began making my way back to where I was just a few minutes ago. Wow, such efficiency.

"Where is she boy?!" I froze, my entire body a statue.

"I uh-mm" there was Caleb's fumbling voice "I don't know, I woke up and she wasn't here."

I nearly overed the short remaining distance entering their view in order to keep Caleb out of trouble, that would just end even worse I'm afraid.

A short commotion sounded "you're coming with me."

my heart dropped further listening to the footsteps fading away. One of those footsteps sounded to be more so stumbling than walking.

Thinking on my feet for once. Ironic considering I was in fact not on my feet.

I worked my way back out onto the roof as fast as my arms allowed me to, running down the steps into the building with absolutely no plan of action.

Too late to turn around now. 

I headed for the direction of the cell. Maybe I could say some guard let me out?

No, that wouldn't ever work.

Oh god, this whole entire plan is over now. And even worse there was no way of knowing what would happen to Caleb and me. The thought of just running back up and leaving on my own intruded my thoughts, no guilt would kill me all the same as actually being killed if I just ditched him.

rounding yet another corner I came face to face-or face to chest- with a guard, more specifically....

What was this guys name again?