Chapter 5

April 8, 2024, 7:00am

            I woke up on a hard surface, did I fall out of my bed last night? I stretched an arm out feeling around me forgetting where I was for a moment. A weight plummeted down my body as my moment of cluelessness wore off, remembering everything from the past day all over again.

I groaned sitting up from the floor which I must have spent all night slumped over on, everything was sore. Rubbing my eyes awake I looked over across the hall hoping maybe Adalyn was back, it would give me peace of mind knowing she was not dead.

To my pleasure she was in fact not dead and was currently sound asleep on the tiny bed in her cell. Maybe not soundly but passed out none the less. 

Smart of her to utilize the thin cushion rather than literal cement. I rolled my eyes at myself.

I'm just about to look away when I notice a bright color on her arm, upon my closer look it seems to be a bandage of sorts. It was wrapped around the bend of her elbow much like the type you get after a blood draw. She stirred a little bit causing me to snap my eyes away realizing how creepy it would be if she woke up to me just staring at her.

I checked my watch for the tenth time in the past hour. It was eight-ten in the morning, a Wednesday. Right now, I would be in history learning all about how the government worked eighty years ago, I found myself wishing to be there instead of wherever this place was. Wanting to distract myself somehow, I slid off the small bed and practiced my push-ups. 

My plan of distraction worked great. I'm going to turn into dad at this rate-

My body paused from its sit ups as a whirlwind of emotions rushed back embedding themselves back into my skull. Thankfully my depressing thoughts were interrupted by footsteps, maybe not a good sign but I'll take any distraction at this point. 

One of the men who was talking to me yesterday was back along with another I did not recognize once again holding a clipboard which looked too small for him. I scrambled up to stand not wanting to be on the floor if they were going to hurt me. My eyes watched his hand scribble down on the paper while eyeing me intently.

"What are you doing?" I forgot the glass was soundproof for a moment, my self-reprimands were cut short when one of them opened the door and answered me.

"documenting" was all he said in that unsettling tone before the door shut again.

Mmk....whatever that means.

With that they left again that's when I noticed Adalyn was sitting on the edge of her bed waving her hand to get my attention. She began to quickly sign with a serious look on her face, or more serious one than I expected.

"Don't fight them on whatever it is they need you for" she paused letting me soak in this vague information "it's not worth it". 

"What do you mean?" I was beginning to get even more worried, what would they do that I would fight back against?

The two men entered back into the hall this time with no clipboard. The glass door slid open once again allowing the larger man to step in and grab hold of my arm tugging me out. I hesitantly complied as they led me a ways down the strange halls which made the situation that much more ominous. 

The moment we stepped into a room which was all white and brightly lit by one large oval light on the ceiling, I nearly turned and ran. Without pause, I was shoved onto a bed similar to that of a doctor's exam room surrounded by what could only be described as medical supplies and machines. My one wrist was bound to a cuff attached to the bed using that same strange binding material from before.

I desperately wanted to question them on what they intended to do here but logic told me I probably shouldn't agitate these strange people. My head snapped to my left at the sound of a voice.

Another new face was sat on a rolling chair near the bed "arm" he spoke holding a syringe which looked almost nothing like ones I see in hospitals other than the actual needle. 

I did the exact opposite thing he asked, pulling my free arm even closer to my body. At this response the familiar looking man grabbed my wrist forcefully extending my arm out. I immediately fought his grasp to realize his grip was like steel clamping over paper. 

Remembering what Adalyn told me to do I reluctantly relaxed my arm as much as my adrenaline would allow. I watched fighting the urge to rip my arm away as the doctor man tied an advanced tourniquet around my bicep before sticking the needle into my vein. 

Because of this close proximity I noticed something odd about these men, they had strange, lined marks on the sides of their necks. It did not look like a scar or tattoo; it appeared as a part of their natural skin.

A sharp pain brought me back to reality, which was the doctor man ripping the needle out again and slapping a bandage around my elbow crease. I guess this is where Adalyn got that bandage from.

After I was freed from the exam bed, I was being led right back to my...cubical, room, cell. They practically threw me into the opened glass doorway along with a black bag. I immediately opened said bag finding some bread and butter, not the most nutritious, but still food which I have been deprived of for two days.

"What that all about?" I signed toward Adalyn who was currently back sitting against the wall, an arm propped up on her one bend knee.

Her brows furrowed "they take me out every day or two to perform various tests on me" a thoughtful expression crossed her face "and you as well now I guess" I bit into my bread savoring the bland taste. 

"What happens if they don't need us anymore?" I doubt she knew but I didn't know what else to respond with.

"Don't know, but I think they are studying us. Whatever they are, they are not human I've seen them without that disguise" she paused allowing me to digest her words "you have to believe me, I don't know what they are but something bigger than us is going on here". 

In any other situation I would have laughed right in her face calling out her bullshit. Instead, here I was letting that soak in thinking about the possibility of other sentient species existing.

Two days ago. Two days and I went from worrying about a test, to worrying about dare I say it..'aliens'.

Authors Note:

Hello,

            I hope you enjoyed this chapter; I wasn't really sure how this one was going to go since I didn't want too much to happen to soon. But I also think two people just freaking out in a cell for an entire drawn-out chapter was quite boring. Anyway, I am publishing this to the public now and I am slightly worried. Have a nice day or night :)

PS: please let me know if these chapter are too short, they will get longer as I get more into the thick of the plot though, but still.