Chapter 9

April 22,2024 3:00pm

It's been two whole days since Adalyn, and I were brought to this building in the middle of nowhere. This place made it very that clear there was no intention of letting us go anytime soon, not like they were dumb enough to think we would keep our mouths shut about this anyway. The only upside to this new prison cell was the fact most of the wall was not made of glass, and they seem to have figured out we need to eat more than every three or four days.

Me and Adalyn have decided the right side of the fifteen-foot room was officially mine and the left side was hers. There was only one shower head just stuck on the wall over some tile in between so I guess we can just take turns looking at the wall.

These 'people' had no sense of privacy.

A faint 'ooo' sounded from the opposite side of the cell grabbing my attention. There was Adalyn knelt by a little storage bin, examining a large notepad and a pencil.

I am amazed they even had that stuff.

She didn't seem to be concerned with the fact these highly advanced 'people' had regular old paper and pencil, instead leaning against the wall resting the notepad on her knees.

I sat watching her as she was completely immersed in whatever she was doing on it, the pencil was being moved around the page with purpose. I noticed how creepy I definitely looked when she almost looked up; probably feeling my gaze burning through her.

I decided it was best to observe the still land outside as my entertainment. I am two seconds from just doing exercises out of boredom. And I hate exercising, practically forcing myself to workout in order to stay in shape for basketball.

"Caleb" my name was simply called.

I turned back around in my seat on my thin bed "Yes?" she was absolutely about to tell me how weird it was to watch er for those few minutes.

"Come over here, I see how bored you are" I instantly crossed the room taking a seat on the floor next her, so grateful to have something to occupy my mind with.

I peeked over her shoulder to see the beginning sketch of a dog holding onto a ball.

"Is that supposed to be your dog?" I remembered she had mention having a dog before.

She hummed in response before flipping the page over to the one underneath it, I followed the movement of her hand quickly creating a small crab.

"Here" the items were dropped in my lap "draw something."

My face scrunched in horror "I'm terrible at drawing, let me spare your eyes" I dropped the items back into her lap again. They were instantly back right where they were. on my lap.

I looked over to find an amused looking Adalyn flicking her eyes between me and the paper. I let out an exaggerated sigh, picking the pencil up.

"Fine then"

It took a moment of staring blankly at the paper before eventually deciding on drawing my favorite sea creature. I had absolutely no confidence in my drawing ability; last time I even tried my dad thought it was supposed to some sort of abstract work.

Once my masterpiece was completed, I held the notepad up to Adalyn's face. She squinted at the pitiful sight for a moment clearly trying to figure out what it was.

"Well...you can tell it was supposed to be a.." she hesitantly finished her statement "fish" this was followed up by an unsure look thrown my way.

I feigned offence, dramatically placing a hand on my chest dropping my mouth open "how rude". She rolled her eyes seeing right through me.