chapter 7

April 10. 2024 8:00pm

            The moment both me and Adalyn were very politely shoved back into our cells Adalyn made eye contact with me before her hands came to life signing quickly. 

"What did they do to your face?" she pointed at me next clearly analyzing my various bruises and cut lip. That guy could really hit.

I played it off as nothing "nothing too bad, he just hit me a few times before getting distracted" I didn't want to be seen as some wimp who can't handle a few smacks here and there.

I would have laughed at her face which was set in an unamused frown if not for the throbbing sensation throughout my face "don't hide it when you're in pain" her frown was replaced with a soft sympathetic one.

I wasn't sure what to say to that, so I said nothing. 

Instead explaining what he wanted to know about that set him off and when he was so caught off guard by my arm not healing like his did.

"He asked me the same things when I was first taken here" her hands paused a moment before continuing "I just told him that I didn't know any of that stuff since I am a woman, and he bought it" I nodded along.

Smart. These people, or whatever they are, have no idea about how people function socially; though I guess they assumed I knew stuff since I was a man anyways.

"Does anyone know I'm gone?" regret was written all over face after she signed that question, just as she was about to have me ignore it, I answered.

"Yes, there's a good amount of people at school who I've heard talking about you" I paused trying to remember all I have heard "the police think you were kidnapped so they've been looking for you this whole time" maybe she thought nobody other than her family would really notice her absence.

I realized that right about now my dad has already reported me missing and maybe the police are investigating me in much the same way as Adalyn. Jason is possibly typing up a storm on his laptop trying to find any information like he always does. My teachers are probably just tallying up all my missing work so far. Maybe if I make it out of here, they won't make me do it all.

Adalyn's hand waving waving at me broke my mind out of its thoughts "what's going on in there?" 

"Just calculating how much make-up work I'll have after this" I cracked a smile lightening the mood, my smile widened once her own confirmed I was successful in doing so.

            Over the next week 'they' continue to do various tests on us consisting of bloodwork, strength, endurance, x-rays, and such. 'They' were incredibly focused on the identical cuts on our arms, almost every day the doctor would come and take photos of them. I learned that these 'men' healed very quickly, I mean in order to create an injury which would stay for a day; it would have to be a fatal one in comparison to humans.

I'm not sure how Adalyn made it two weeks with no one to even just exist in the proximity with, as communicating with her was what kept me optimistic. I was torn between being glad I was not all alone and feeling guilty that if she was let go, I would be disappointed in a way. During our silent conversations I learned all about how her favorite color was purple, she had a german shepherd named Ozzy, we had the same birth month, and just anything that could be used to distract from the fact we were in glass cells in some building located who knows where.

As I watched the man (who was now known as Mr. Clipboard by Adalyn as well) press the button which closed the glass door, I heard an odd thud right as he walked away. 

Out of curiosity, I stepped forward gently tugging on the doors cut out handle. 

I jolted at the sensation of the door sliding open. I looked toward Adalyn, her wide eyes meeting mine; though with her expression alone she was clearly telling me not to risk it, and mine told her I was most certainly going to do it.