23 - date night

Eventually, Dallas had to go home.

He only lived about twenty minutes, give or take with traffic, away. But I couldn't shake the feeling I would never see him again when he kissed me at my front door. It was just another nagging, toxic nervosity of mine, but a valid one, considering our history. I had work the following day and he had some things he needed to work out with his new job in the city.

I took it upon myself to fill everybody in since it was official and everything. Carlos and Chris didn't need much more than a text in the group chat to send back a 'Congrats, man' or 'Well, slap my ass and call me Susan' from Carlos. Erick, however, needed to hear me say it out loud after calling me on the phone.

"It's true," I said with an eye roll.

"You're welcome."

That made me nearly choke on the leftover eggs I had made from the carton Dallas had brought home for me. "For what?" I asked.

"He asked me where you work, so I told him. I am the sole reason you are going to get married, brother," Erick said, sounding way too proud to have played such a minor role in this. "I'm glad everything's good. It's been a long time coming and, well, we've all been tired of your sad era."

I hate my best friend. "Jokes on you, I'm still in my sad era. I'm just getting dick on the side," I said, making myself laugh.

"And we love that for you," Erick said. "Oh, by the way, I'm gonna be a dad."

"You're already a dad."

"Again. Phoebe's knocked up!"

I decided I didn't want to ruin his fun, so I played along as if I didn't already get the inside scoop from my boyfriend, his brother-in-law. We talked about how excited he was and if he predicted a girl or a boy. He asked what exactly went down with Dallas and I, then proceeded to make fun of how corny making up with a New Years kiss was. I felt light as air, unable to fight the smile on my face every time I thought about Dallas.

My mom was probably going to have a strong opinion on the matter. I wasn't going to tell her right away to let the dust settle.

He called me when I was getting out of the shower. "Already miss me?" I teased, slipping on some clean underwear and jeans.

"Of course," Dallas schmoozed. "I was thinking about everything and I was wondering if you'd like to go on a date with me this Friday night."

My stomach swirled with butterflies while I tried to search for a clean work shirt amongst the piles that covered my dresser and desk. "Another date, huh? Crab legs and sex again?" I joked, finally finding one that wasn't too dirty at the foot of my bed. "I'd love to go on a date with you, Dal."

"Ew, don't call me Dal."

"Yeah, it sounded weird coming out."

"No problem, Tom-Tom."

"You are vile," I snorted, putting the phone in speaker and slipping the shirt over my head. "Do you have a plan in mind for our date?" I heard the sound of a car honking on the other end and he cursed under his breath. It sounded like he was in the city.

Dallas finally found a quiet place, or probably walked into a building, because the background noise came down significantly. "Of course I already have a plan and I'm not telling you what it is. I'll let you know later in the week what time to be ready. Yes, I'm dressing nice, and no, you don't have to."

"Yes, I do," I muttered. He told me he had to go so we bid goodbyes and hung up. At least I was home this time and had my own nice clothes to wear instead of—shiver—Frasier's.