chapter 13

Rosa

Holding it together is hard, but I do because I have to, for their sake, as much as mine. I’m not going to waste my time on what-ifs because nothing will change what’s done. I can only change what will be partially, maybe.
He really is beautiful, smart, and packed full of testosterone. Just looking at him makes me crave round two. His chest and shoulders widen of their own accord when he senses me staring. For a man, he sure is in tune with my every move. Wrath is reluctant to find a way out of the promise, but I think it’s useless. If you make a deal with the devil, expect to pay through the teeth.
When I told him about Raph, he agreed to leave right away but wouldn’t tell me how they knew each other. I pick my battles with him, and this one I deem not worth it. He doesn’t know, but I’ve placed my heart in his hands; I haven’t done that since… well, since I tried to help my mother and trusted her to care for me. Then, she broke my trust and heart along the way. I promised never to care for another, ever again. It started with Amanda, then Tally. Now I’ve taken the biggest leap of my life. Giving my trust and love to a man, something I never could imagine I’d do. I can’t say what makes me more anxious, that, or the battle we’re about to begin.
I’m impressed with the amount of fae willing to fight for Wrath, given the cause. He even has other species ready to battle at a moment’s notice. What happens next, all rides on Raph? I found out he’s some kind of abomination. He was once an angel warrior, like Samuel. He’s the one who wanted to purge me. Wrath told me about him. Apparently he’s one of the oldest, purest, and most stuck-up angels. Wrath says the fact he helped me at all is a miracle. Apparently, it’s against the rules.
It’s night when we materialize in front of Raph’s. Before we left, Wrath warned me to never materialize inside his club or office because it could get me killed. When I asked why, he said it spooks most that can’t and the ones that can are sometimes paranoid and strike mid shift without cause. Good to know. As we're escorted to his office, Wrath becomes tense and quiet. I step inside and see Raph at his usual spot against the glass on the opposite end of the room, except this time he’s facing us. When I don’t feel Wrath at my side, I turn, looking for him and find him at the opposite side of Raph, also against the wall, arms folded. I look between them, confused at the marked distance between them. It’s Wrath that speaks first.
“Still working both sides, I see. How’s that going for you?”
I turn to Raph and notice his smirk doesn’t come easy.
“It pays the bills, How are things in medieval times?”
Raph looks at me pointedly
“Or are you trading in your sword for gifts of the flesh?”
His eyes flash at me, and I get an ache between my legs that causes a full body shiver. I look away instantly, Wrath growls his displeasure.
“Watch it, Rapheal! Test the treaty that way, and I’ll break it without hesitation.”
Treaty? I look back at Raph, who is now avoiding me at all costs. I’m pretty sure I sense a touch of fear before it quickly passes. It’s so minoot. I wonder if I imagined it.
“I have a few stragglers that would love an excuse to war against Lucifer. I’ll give you their information, but I trust the favor won’t go unnoticed?”
Wrath nods,
“You have my word.”
They’re both silent, but neither moves a muscle.
“Very well, they’re between the dreaming and passing dimensions.”
I’m not the only one confused by this. Even Wrath looks dumbfounded. Raph chuckles, if you can call it that. I don’t sense any humor in his tone.
“I told you staying in that hovel you call a kingdom is keeping you out of the loop. Lucifer has created a portal between the dimensions.”
Wrath thinks for a moment before asking,
“On the lower side?”
Raph rolls his eyes,
“Of course, you know he’d never be permitted past the dreaming.”
Wrath squints suspiciously,
“So you're not aiding him?”
There’s that anger again, rolling off Raph in waves before he reins it in. Man, these two have some serious history. If circumstances weren’t so dire, I would be testing them right now. I’m dying to know what the distance thing is about.
“Aiding him would be stupid. I don’t choose sides, remember?”
Wrath answers with a sexy lift of the chin that sends my libido into overdrive. They both turn to me simultaneously, like they sense what I’m thinking. I blush at the direct attention.
“Sir, you have guests.”
The rhino looking guy interrupts, and we part ways. Wrath leads me out with a hand on my back. When we’re outside, he relaxes slightly?
“What now?”
Wrath doesn’t answer until we round the corner.
“I’m going to recruit Raph’s contacts, and whoever can get here by tonight is who we take.”
My eyebrows furrow in confusion, but he doesn’t even look at me. I pull the arm of his jacket to get his attention.
“What’s the rush?”
He leans in. I shiver, clutching him closer when his lips brush my ear. I can feel him smile at my reaction.
“We’re being watched.”
I move to look around; he stops me and pulls my face to his lips, kissing me deeply. My knees get weak, and I clench my thighs in reaction to his wicked tongue. He pulls away too soon, and I try to pull him back. Wrath’s seductive chuckle has me crazy with need.
“As much as I want to continue, we have to move fast. If we don’t get to that dimension before they’re alerted… we will lose.”
The statements like a splash of cold water. I nod and follow him, leaving my wants and desires in the dust…
I stand next to Wrath as he gives an Army the size of a football field direction. We gather in the desert mere feet from Robert’s last setup. The ground is still littered with tiny pieces of burnt rubble mixed into the sand. He tells me not to be fooled by the size. The fight will be closely matched. If his information is accurate, we’re outnumbered two to one. The odds make me cringe, but I’m counting on the element of surprise.
He’s really something to see. His age was never obvious until today. Wrath gives direction like a seasoned veteran. I realized he’s much older than he looks. If I didn’t know any better, I’d say he’s no older than twenty-eight, but seeing him now? It’s as if I picked him out of the ninth century and plopped him in my time. I can’t say it’s not wildly attractive. There’s something about the savagery and animal instinct. Wrath displays that touches the very feminine part of me and makes me want to be conquered. Maybe if I had a different life before now, that didn’t turn me into a spiteful bitch. Just maybe I could have found happiness with him. I shut those thoughts down, wallowing in what ifs are useless. I learned a long time ago happiness and normalcy were never in the cards for me. My mother said I was always destined to be the hardened and damaged person I am. Everyone has their demons and mine are within. Might as well make the best of it and stop pinning over what could be. At least no one can hurt me. You can’t hurt someone that doesn’t give you the chance.
We make a chain. Those who can’t transport are linked in groups of three that can. Druids draw symbols in the sand. Wrath calls them druids, but they look like Scottish bachelors to me. The rest of the crew looks like something out of a bad sci-fi. There are too many species to name. Some of them look normal, others are just grotesque. I avoid looking on my right side. There’s a demon with literal dicks for hands. I can only imagine what he is. On second thought, imagining is too much. Wrath grabs my hand and pulls me from my mindless thoughts.
“Are you ready?”
I nod. It’s the best I can do. Since the day I was kidnapped, my life has been one hurdle after the other, none of which I was prepared for, but I keep coming back stronger. I don’t think today will be any different. If there’s one thing my childhood taught me, it’s; No matter how many times life kicks you down, keep getting up, because giving up is giving in. I won’t give my enemies the satisfaction, no matter what face they wear.
This transportation is slower. I feel the grains of sand roll off the tops of my feet and my body become weightless. The warm humid air becomes cool and crisp. I grip Wrath’s hand tighter and close my eyes as gravity once again pulls at the pit of my stomach. I open my eyes and I’m shoved down by Wrath in an instant. Oh, fuck… they knew we were coming?
It’s chaos, there’s carnage all around me. I can’t tell my enemies from my friends. All the while, I’m dodging swords, bullets, and blood along the way. My tunnel vision sets in despite the danger. I know where my friends are, I can see the building. I go wide, taking a clearer path.
I’m about a quarter mile away, halfway there. I pump my arms and legs faster, dodging a rolling head in my path. Closer, closer still, I can feel the sweat bead at the back of my neck and I’m running faster than I’ve ever run before. Pure adrenaline drives me. I’m so close I begin to reach for the door when I’m ripped backward. I feel strands of hair tear away from my scalp and my head hits the ground with a loud thwack. The last thing I see before my vision blurs, I see Wrath’s devastated face barrelling toward me.