The Jade Dragon

Date: 03RD June 2020 | NOT RATED

Summary: A blind dragon falls in love with a runaway thief.

_________________________

Nothing hurts more than being unwanted and unloved, nothing. The thought alone would drive anyone demented. However, what else could Lan Wangji do? After all, he's nothing but a monster in everyone's eyes. An evil beast. Unworthy of love. Though there was a time when it hadn't always been this way.

Long ago, Lan Wangji was once known as Hánguāng-jūn , of Gusu - a small village overflowing with frostbites and hushed whispers. Lan Wangji was one of the two Jades of Gusu , along with his now-dead brother, Lan Xichen, who sacrificed himself so Lan Wangji could escape from Gusu.

Yes, his brother had died. Killed by the very people who once praised Lan Wangji and Lan Xichen for being the pride and joy of Gusu.

Sometimes, even to this day, it made Lan Wangji wonder why his people simply couldn't accept him and his fallen brother? Had he not been generous toward them all those years?

And just like Lan Wangji, outsiders wondered the same. What had the two brothers done to deserve such hatred from the very people they once called family? The family that still, to this day, wanted Lan Wangji dead after they slaughtered his brother mercilessly many years ago.

The two Jades of Gusu must've done something so preposterous, so vile, and deceitful for their entire Gusu village to turn on them, right? Well, no. Lan Wangji and Lan Xichen's only crimes were their very existence. They were deemed as an abomination in the eyes of the people of Gusu, all because they were dragons, or - like most would say, fire-breathers.

That dreadful day, Lan Wangji could remember it like it was yesterday. Perhaps it was yesterday.

It was around autumn, the time of year when spirits of the dead would enter the body of the rotten carcasses, bringing them back to life. Whenever they awaken, sometimes these mindless corpses find themselves trying to invade Gusu. However, being Gusu's sole protector - the strongest warriors among the others, Lan Wangji and Lan Xichen often annihilate these rotten carcasses who dare meddle near their village during bedtime.

After dawn set in, and the night hunt ended, the brothers ventured back home, unaware that a gripping catastrophe stood moments away from happening. For when they reached the steps of Gusu, a crowd of rowdy disciples waited by the gates, and before Lan Xichen could get a word out, a thick white powder was thrown upon them by one of the disciples while others watched on as the brothers began shifting.

Some were afraid, for they could not believe the twin jades were deceiving them all these years. While others looked on in disgust, eyes hurled daggers toward the two jades who were scrunched on the ground, digging into their skin as the white substance burned against their flesh while they screamed in anguish.

There, before everyone's eyes, Lan Wangji and Lan Xichen were slowly and painfully forced - because of the powder, to transform into their true selves.

Holding onto his big brother, Lan Wangji screamed from being compelled to reveal his true self. White horns with golden-crusted tips emerge from his forehead. White bloodied wings as big as the riverboats in Gusu's seashores ripped their way out of his back. Canines as large as a man's palm made way. His body changed until Lan Wangji and Lan Xichen stood in their original forms. Dragons as white as the purest jade itself. So breathtaking, so elegant. They glistened in the morning sun.

When Lan Wangji thought it was definitely over, something strange occurred. His eyes. The pair of rice golden-encrusted eyes were replaced with nothing but absolute colorlessness until he couldn't see what transpired in front of him. Afraid, Lan Wangji cried out to his brother, but Lan Xichen was also in the same position - unable to see.