Chapter 2: Questions

Her phone only rang once when the other person picked up.

"Mihihi~! Well if it isn't the Phoenix~? I know you will ask me for help! But uh... it hasn't even been nine months since you ventured out to find your own home. A bit shorter than usual don't you think?" A mischievous voice rang out.

"Hex, I require a favor from you," Colletta made her voice as neutral as possible as she threw her things hazardously into her luggage.

This made the other person go silent before continuing, "Did something happen? Is there someone I need to curse?"

"No, there is no need to curse anyone needlessly. Never mind that, do you have a house that is for three people?"

"Miiiiii... You're no fun Nix. All business and no humor."

Colletta rolled her eyes at the childish complaint. "I'll make you an eight-inch fruit cake."

"Mihihi! You're the best, Nix! Just go to this place I just sent you. I'll see you later!"

"See you later, Hex." With that, Colletta ended the call and shoved it into her cardigan pocket. Scrutinizing the room for anything she could have forgotten, her eyes picked up a golden locket in the drawer. Walking over, she picked it up.

When she opened it, she just stared. This locket... was from Apate. The Apate from seventeen years ago. The time when she didn't lie to get out of trouble and push the blame on everyone else. She toothily smiled in the picture as she hugged Colletta while making a peace sign with her hand. Her black, short hair swayed as her blue eyes sparkled with childhood innocence.

Although Colletta didn't remember much of her middle school years, she did remember just what kind of person Apate was. Despite living in a terrible household, she was always bright and cheerful. Helping everyone she can even if it is thankless. She had aspired to be just like her, but now... now...

Her eyelids closed on her without noticing as she shakily breathed out. When she opened them, they were hardened gray stones. Without glancing back, she threw the locket into the trashcan and left the room with her luggage.

Knocking on Gladio- no Sans' room, she waited for him to open. A small "wait a second" called out. After a couple of seconds, the door opened. Papyrus looked at her with worry as his head turned to look at the flesh wound on her side.

"Are You Sure You Are Okay? That Injury Was Too Deep For A Monster Candy To Heal." His eyes socket roved over her body for any other injuries he couldn't see.

"I'll be fine. It just looks worse than it actually is." She smiled. The wound wasn't really that painful and with the monster candy, it was already healing nicely. "Anyways, are you and your brother done packing?"

Papyrus turns to look at Sans who had been absentmindedly tugging the hole in his skull. "We're Almost Done Packing Our Stuff, But... Is It Alright To Leave Like This?"

"If they don't, I have other ways to make their life more annoying to live." Papyrus stared at her face for a minute longer before sighing.

"I Hope... You'll Open Up More, At Least To Us." There was something about his voice that made her heart squeeze in itself. Colletta dug her nails deep into her palm until it almost bled.

"I'm sorry..." She whispered.

"Don't Be. I'm Sure There Is A Reason Why You Don't Speak Up Much About Yourself." He waved it off as he left to pack his and Sans' luggage. Sans lumbered on over, his red eye light watching her carefully. She stares back for a moment, then breaks the eye contact, refusing to acknowledge the twinge of uneasiness in the crevices of her brain.