Chapter 37 - Scratches And Getting Caught.

It's me again.
.
.
.
      "What is wrong with you guys?!" I ask, suddenly fed up.

        "What's wrong with us?" Jacob asks with his eyebrows raised. "A guy comes to school to look for you like it's nothing out of the ordinary. We're just making sure he has no bad intentions."

         "And I told you guys countless times that I wouldn't do anything to hurt her. I really enjoy—" David cuts Nick off and moves closer to me and adjusts his glasses to inspect my face.

        "Are you wearing lip gloss?" He asks incredulously and I'm completely mortified. I don't dare look at Nicholas. How did I end up with a friend like David? No, scratch that. How did I end up with all these guys?

      "Okay. I think it's time to go. It was nice talking to you, Nicholas," Jasmine says and pulls David by the ear. She walks away with a screaming David who laments that she's ruining his 'macho' look.

       "I've got my eyes on you," Temi says and breaks into a grin. "I'm kidding. We're cool, bro. You have my consent."

         They do that handshake, pat on the back thing before he leaves.

         "Well, I'm not cool with it. She's not allowed to grow up this fast," Jacob says with a frown, still glaring at our joined hands. I pull my hand away and shove Jacob till he finally leaves. I'm going to end all of them.

        "Yeah, we're also going to go—" Isaac starts.

      "No way. I'm not leav—" Benji whines but stops when Chichi punches him in the shoulder and gives him a look. "My madam has spoken."

        They all leave and it's only Nick, and I left. I'm still not looking at him. Too embarrassed to even blink.

      "Aren't you going to say anything?" he asks, and I finally sneak a glance at him. I'm finally able to appreciate how good he looks right now. He's hair is slightly overgrown, but that just makes it even better. He's dressed in a white baggy t-shirt with a small picture of a bridge at the corner with blue jeans and white Nike sneakers. Simple, yet he looks so good.

       But what am I supposed to say? That my friends are overly protective? That they were joking? Because it's obvious they weren't.

       "I'm a little embarrassed. Can we forget this never happened?" I ask, finally meeting his eyes. His beautiful chocolate eyes. His chuckle brings me out of my trance.

        "I can't do that. It's obvious they really care about you and they just want to make sure you're okay. Nothing to be embarrassed about."

         He smiles and I smile back before he reclaims my hand and leads me across the field and towards the school gate like this isn't his first time here.

     "Aren't you meant to be in school?"

     "I am. We always have an intensive revision class every Friday mostly for the people writing JAMB and WAEC. I wanted to see you, so I sat this one out."

       It's then that it really hits me that he'll be gone soon. He'll be leaving for school while I'll be staying right here.

        "How're preparations going for your SAT?"

          "It's going okay, I guess," he answers with a shrug. "Enough about school. I want to know about you and how you've been. But first, food."

         I grin and tug him faster towards the gate.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

        "How've you been?"

         "Hmm," I answer with a shrug and take another bite out of my burger.