Chapter 17 - Rekindling Old Friendships

From the title of this chapter, you should know what's about to happen 😏.
Shall we?😝😂
.
.
.
.

Monday rolled by and I silently thanked God for the upcoming midterm break. Crestview was always late to go on midterms. Going to school is going to be hard work. I'm pretty sure people that were at the cafeteria heard everything Stephanie said. She was literally screaming.

"Fayokemi, are you okay?" I look to the door to see my mom leaning on the frame hesitating to enter into the room. I was okay. I'm just lost in my thoughts.

"I'm fine mommy"

"Don't lie to me" she snapped and marched into the room. "Don't think I haven't noticed the way you've been acting lately. Is there something going on at school?" She asks and sits down at the edge of my bed while I continue getting ready for school.

"It's just final year stress. And I'm also thinking about the upcoming debate" I reply lying through my teeth. She just stares at me. I was always a bad liar.

"Take things easy Kemi. You know you can talk to me" I just nod and give her a small smile or at least something that looks like it but she just frowns and leaves.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"Kemi!!"

"Hmm?"

I turn to see Isaac looking at me concerned. "I've been calling your name for a while". We were currently in class having a free period. Most people were in little groups chatting and laughing. I on the other hand, was trying to read a book. Americana by Chimamanda Adichie. Keyword, 'trying'.

"Sorry. I have a lot on my mind. What do you need?"

"Your biology note" he replies and looks at me like any minute I'll explode. "Kemi, you shouldn't dwell on what happened last week. You're no longer yourself"

"I'm not dwelling on it"

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

It's Wednesday and school just closed. I couldn't wait to sleep the break away without worries....
"Kemi" I heard someone call from the other end of the hallway. Or not. The person quickly jogged to catch up with me so we could walk down the stairs together.

"Do you mind us going home together? I mean we both live in the same estate". It was Jacob. He's been awfully nice to me all week. It's suspicious.

"Why?"

"Why what?" He said furrowing his eyebrows and stopped immediately walking. We were already outside. Is he really asking me that?

"Why are you being so nice?Why do you want to walk me home?" I ask looking up at him.

"There's nothing wrong if I walk you home or be a friend to you" he replies and I start walking.

"So now you want to be friends" I say muttered. "Come on let's go" I at gesturing for him to hurry up. He just chuckles and we walk home.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

It's the midterms and I was just in bed soaking up the fact that I'm free from school at least for a couple days. I hadn't even had my bath. I just lay on my bed and binge watched the vampire diaries. What? It's a classic. But no, the universe didn't think I deserved to slum.

"Kemi, someone's here to see you. It's that senior from the last time" Kiiti announced barging into my room. Which senior from last time? Don't tell me......
"It's senior Jacob" he said again. Kill me now. I was stinky and dirty and oh my goodness Jacob is at my house!!