Chapter 30 - Speaking Up And Trying To Help

I don show 😌make everybody clear road😂😂.
.
.
.
.
      "What happened to you?" she yells. Let me just give you a brief run down of what's happening right now. Everything was going fine and good and my dad was home early again which is odd for a Wednesday.

      We were about to have dinner but Kiiti wasn't downstairs so I had to go get him. Let's just say I wasn't walking fast enough up the stairs. I didn't think the foot would still hurt but it did. A lot more than I thought and I haven't gotten the chance to rub anything on it because the balm is in my parent's room.

       "Ma?"

        "What happened to you?" she repeats. "Answer me" she snaps when I keep mute.

        "I sprained my ankle at school". It isn't a lie. The incident did happen at school.

         "And how did it happen?" she asks and my dad stands up from his place in the living room and comes to stand by my mom. I feel set up.

        "Uhhhh I was actually going down the stairs when.."

        "Gbenu dake. Tell me the truth"

        "That's the truth. I was rushing down the stairs and almost twisted my ankle" I say convincingly and everywhere's quiet for a moment.

          "Let's go to the doctor" she says finally.

           "Nooo. It's fine really" I say and continue to climb up.

         "Kemi, I'm with your mother on this one. You need to have it checked out" my dad says, finally speaking up.

       "Oshe my dear. We'll be back soon" she says and goes to the foot of the stairs. "Kiiti! Kiiti! Bring my bag from the table" she yells and glances at my foot then back at me. I silently limp by her and rush upstairs to change.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

       Luckily, Stephanie didn't do much damage. The doctor said it was nothing serious. Just a day or two of massages and it'll be fine. Nothing to worry about. I'm lying in bed trying to fall asleep when my dad walks in. I groan inwardly because I just want peace and I have been having none of it.

       I sit up the same moment he settles himself on the bed.
        "Is there something I need to know?" he asks.

       "No. Why?"

       "Your mom said there's something going on with you. She thinks the sprain has a connection to it. I need to know what it is before I can help you, Fayo" he says pleadingly.

       "Nothing is going on" I say shaking my head. "Mom's just worried too much" I say and look away.

      "You know we're not just going to let it go" he says.

         "I'm old enough to handle my own problems without you guys getting involved, dad" I snap and my hand flies to my mouth. I did NOT just say that. I'm too embarrassed to meet him in the eye. How could I have let that slip? "Dad, I'm so sorry. I didn't mean it like that" I rush out but I don't get a response for a few moments. Finally, the silence is broken with a sigh. His sigh.

      "I'll let you get some sleep" he says and walks out the door without a backward glance. Well, shit.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

      I walk into school the next day feeling like a zombie. I had zero to no sleep yesterday because I stayed awake watching old Disney movies to try and 'distress'. Did it work? Yes. Will I try it again? No. I think doctors knew what they were saying when they said eight hours of sleep. My head is throbbing.