Epilogue:

Today is the day when Olivia meets Vernon for dinner. She's as nervous as she can be. How could she not be nervous? She had one chance to make it right, or Vernon might end up disappearing from his life forever.

Dressed appropriately, she heads out to their agreed location. Arriving thirty minutes early, Olivia patiently waits for the boy as does a silent prayer that he doesn't ghost her.

Fifteen minutes later and Vernon arrives, a smile on his face. Olivia jumps to her feet, hoping she isn't grinning too brightly.

"You made it!" She beams and gestures for the boy to sit down.

"You look nice." He says his eyes, examining her outfit.

"Thank you. You too."

The waiter comes, and the two make their orders. Olivia nervously picks the ends of her acrylics as Vernon takes a nervous sip of water.

"So how has been your week?" Vernon starts, attempting to make small talk.

Thankfully, that seemed to defrost the situation as the two managed to make conversation until their food came.

Once they were done dining, the two decided to talk a walk across the park since the night was still young.

Olivia glances up at Vernon for the seventh time in the last five minutes. At first, Vernon pretended not to notice for the first three times, but now it was clearly obvious that Olivia had something to say.

Stopping by the small lake, Olivia smiles at the ambiance and silently thanks the heavens for the opportunity.

"Vernon." She calls, making the boy turn to face her. Fumbling with her nail, Olivia lets out a deep breath.

"These past two years were a blur. So much time went by, and every day, I wondered how you were doing. Despite trying to push myself to forget you, I couldn't. At first, I thought it was guilt for how I treated, but it's not."

Taking another deep breath, she looks at Vernon, who is waiting for her to finish.

"I know I've already apologized, but I wanted to do it again as older Olive. Not young Olive who took you for granted. I'm so sorry, Vernon. I should have never behaved that way. Somewhere inside, I liked you too. But when you told me I..." she shakes her head. "I just wanted to apologize. Sincerely, as new Olive."

A small smile makes its way to Vernon's lips. "I appreciate that, Olivia. I forgave you a long time ago too. What happened happened. It's all the past now."

Olivia nods and shuffles in place before speaking again.

Shyly lifting her gaze, Olivia says, "I hope you can give me the opportunity to get to know you again. I like you, Vernon, and I'm asking if you can give me the chance to win you over. I wasted time years ago and hesitated so much, but now I won't. I promise I won't. Can you give me the chance?"

Vernon stares at Olivia, seemingly not in a rush to respond. At this point, Olivia feels her nerves catch up to her. She had imagined this opportunity multiple times, yet she feels like she's going to blow up if Vernon doesn't respond to her.

"You like me?"

Olivia nods, dropping her gaze to the ground.

This is it. He's going to say no.

"How much?" He asks, his voice calm.

Olivia swallows the lump in her throat that had formed. "A lot. A lot lot. There's no word for it."

A soft chuckle escapes his lips, making Olivia raise her eyes. Vernon's eyes were filled with a certain warmth as they tingled in the moonlight. Olivia remains still as Vernon closes the distance between them.

"I'd love to get to know the new Olive."

A wide smile finds its way on her face as she excitedly jumps into his arms. Immediately letting go, she mumbles a quick apology, explaining her excitement.

Vernon doesn't say anything but instead pulls her into another embrace. Olivia relaxes in the hug as she sends gratitude to whoever sent a beautiful soul like Vernon to her.

END

~~~

Sigh... This is it, my dear readers. The short story is complete...

See you in the next one!!

My social links are available on my link tree, which is in my bio

❤️

Follow| Comment | Vote