Chapter 5: "𝐺𝑖𝑣𝑒 𝑖𝑡 𝑡𝑜 𝑚𝑒."

VERNON has spent the last hour and a half pacing around the whole house looking for his bracelet. He held hope that he might have forgotten it when he left for morning training five days ago and just left it somewhere in the house. Unfortunately, that was not the case. His bracelet was out of his sight, nowhere to be found.

The rest of the day went okay for him. He hadn’t bumped into Olivia, and Vernon was feeling a bit better because of that. He didn’t need to see the person who manages to ruin his mood in a single breath, considering how down he feels today.

“Nothing!” Laurence yells, lifting himself from under the bleachers.

Vernon shakes his head at the spot he is searching for.

“Where could one tiny thing be? We practically searched all ends and corners, and we can’t find it.”

“Maybe I should just accept that I lost it. It will take off the time we are putting into finding it. It has been five days already.”

“No way!” Laurence denies. “I know how much that bracelet means to you, man. We will find it. We just need to keep looking.”

“We can’t keep looking for any longer today.” Vernon informs, glancing at his watch. “I’m scheduled for training. You should head home and we’ll try again tomorrow.”

“You sure? I can continue looking.”

“No Laurie. It’s been a long day. We’ve done enough for today.”

Laurence nods his head in understanding. “Ok then. I’ll see you tomorrow.”

“See you tomorrow.”

~~~

Vernon had a towel wrapped around his head in an attempt to dry it quicker. He was the only one left at the swimming area as he had stayed back to look for his bracelet. He crouched down to check underneath the bleachers, but to no avail, the bracelet wasn’t there.

Where did I put you? He ponders, caressing his wrist, where his bracelet usually is.

“Hey.” A voice says, startling Vernon out of his thoughts.

Olivia stood several meters away from Vernon, a smile on her face.

“You look cute with that towel on your head.” She points out.

“What do you want?”

“Do you have to be so rude all the time?” She asks, rolling her eyes.

Vernon gives her a blank stare. “I have no reason to be nice to you.”

Olivia pouts her lips and walks and stops at the edge of the pool, admiring the shining water.

Vernon mutely watches her as she adjusts the braids that were tied up in a blooming bun in the middle.

“Should I try swimming too? I’m pretty decent at it.” She suggests turning around to face the boy.

“As long as you stay out of my way.”

“You didn’t say no.” She responds excitedly, positioning her two front braids onto the back of her ear.

Vernon ignores her and shuffles behind the bleachers, looking for his bracelet once more. Because of his crouching position, the towel falls off his head, revealing his somewhat dry curled hair.

“Have you tried getting locs? You already have shaved sides. I think you’ll look good in them.”

Not expecting a response, Olivia watches the boy scurry about searching.