Chapter 17: "𝐼 𝐿𝑖𝑘𝑒 𝑌𝑜𝑢 2.0"

"CAN I get a black coffee with a vanilla muffin, please?" Vernon orders.

"Would that be sit in or take away?"

"Sit in."

The cashier types in the order and accepts Vernon's card. Receiving a receipt, Vernon makes his way to the counter and picks up his order.

Finding a seat at his usual table, the man opens his laptop and resumes his task. The doorbell goes off, announcing another customer. Since the cafe is usually busy, Vernon doesn't bother to look up and continues focusing on his work.

"Hot chocolate and a brownie, please." The voice says, handing the cashier a card.

Olivia at the end of her locs, as she patiently waits for her food. As it arrives, she mutters a quick thank you with a bright smile and heads to find a seat.

Olivia walks past several tables, extending her neck to look over to the window seats. Those were always the best. Nobody would bother you, and you could do whatever you want without looking odd by being alone. I'm happy to see a seat she quickly makes her way over, only to stop in her tracks upon seeing the person seated at the nearby table.

"Vernon?" She calls out, making the boy snap his head up. 

Vernon doesn't respond and looks at her in shock. He watches as she approaches his table and sets down her food before deciding to sit on the chair across from him.

"Vernon." She repeats. "It is you."

"Olivia..." He whispers, still surprised. "How are you doing?"

The year had gone by quickly. One day, Olivia was moping in her room. The next, she started university, and now she's halfway through her second year.

Still, nommater how much time had passed, she regretted never telling Vernon her feelings.

"I'm doing well. You look good..."

And she wasn't lying. There sat the guy she was used to seeing in a uniform. A uniform that once looked amazing on him. In front of her was still the same Vernon. Only his body looked more leaner but in a strong way. You could tell from a mile away that he was some sort of athlete. He was still as handsome as ever, and Olivia couldn't help but smile at the side shaves with twists in the middle. Vernon had grown his hair again.

"Thanks." He mumbles, feeling awkward. "You look good, too."

Olivia's gaze drops to the white table, as she doesn't know what to say. She had made up multiple scenarios on what she would say if she had the pleasure to meet him again. Yet here he was, and she couldn't utter a single word.
"I heard you're studying Sports Medicine. It suits you."

Vernon chuckles as he takes a sip of bis coffee. "Well, it matched with my sport so..." He clears his throat. Gosh, it was so awkward. "What are you studying?"

"I'm an accounting major."

"You were always good with numbers." Vernon comments, making the girl laugh.

Vernon looks down to his watch and begins to pack.

"My class is in fifteen minutes. I better get a head start." He explains and watches Olivia nod her head.

Olivia rises to her feet as Vernon mumbles a quick goodbye. Heading out the door, Olivia watches as the boy makes his way back to Uni. Seeing had bought back memories and feelings she had thought she had come to terms with.

She clearly had not come to terms with them. And she didn't want to, without seeing what those feelings could evolve into.

Dashing outside, Olivia yells Vernon's name, to which he turns around, his backpack slinged on one shoulder.

"Would you like to go to dinner with me?" She yells.

Vernon remains silent before a smile shows on his lips.

With a single nod, he responds,

"I'd like that Olivia."

END

~~~

Follow| Comment | Vote